Last week, FOX 2's Charlie LeDuff exposed Wayne County's Meals on Wheels program serving cold and disgusting food to home bound residents. He found people wouldn't eat it.
The county was saving $138,000 annually, which is around the same amount their former development director, Turkia Mullin, got paid in severance after taxes. She has since returned the money.
After much uproar, we've been told Meals on Wheels is being restored — home cooked food will now be delivered every day just like before.
"Last Thursday, we came up with a corrective action plan, and we're going to eliminate the per-prepared, reheated, home delivered meals," said Kevin Kelley, director of Wayne County Senior Services. "We're going back to our old packaging and delivery system, which people have come to expect after 24 years under the county."
"Thank you Problem Solvers for helping to draw attention to this. I'll say that we heard a lot from our seniors citizens, but it was the report of the Problem Solvers that really jarred things moving on this, along with the people who were calling us and then complaining from our districts. So, you're report made a difference," said Wayne County Commission Chairman Gary Woronchak.
"What can I say? You call us, especially if you're elderly, you're infirm, you need help. We'll try. Hopefully it works out like it did this time," said LeDuff.
WJBK-TV | Fox 2
Didn't find what you were looking for?