Three men are facing charges in connection with the shooting that killed two teenagers out for an afternoon drive on the Southfield Freeway Service Drive on August 14.
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy has charged 19-year-old Demarius Barginere, 20-year-old Terry Dawson and 24-year-old Cudaro Nelson-Johnson all of Detroit.
Investigators say Tashana Kalka and Marcus Andrews, both 19-years-old, were killed when someone sprayed Andrews' Mercury Grand Marquis with bullets while the pair was heading southbound on the service drive at 1:50 p.m.
Worthy's office says a black SUV driven by Barginere, allegedly Kalka's ex-boyfirend, pulled up next to the Grand Marquis and Nelson-Johson opened fire on those inside. Dawson is alleged to have given Nelson-Johnson the firearm prior to the shooting. All three men are charged with two counts of Murder in the First Degree-Premeditated, which carries mandatory life without parole.
Additionally the three men are facing two counts of Assault with Intent to Murder and Felony Firearm. Nelson-Johnson and Dawson are also charged with Felon in Possession of a Firearm which carries a five year term.
"While all violent deaths are tragic, the death of these two young people while driving on a public street during the middle of the day is profoundly disturbing," Worthy said. "This just adds two more senseless deaths in the landscape that has been killing upon killing in Detroit this year."
Barginere and Dawson have been arraigned and are being held in jail without bond. Nelson-Johnson is expected to be arraigned later today.
At the time of the shooting Kalka's mother said her daughter had been threatened by her exboyfriend. Follow the link for her reaction to the shooting.
And Stay with Fox 2 and myFOXDetroit.com for continuing coverage.