911 calls released from accident involving Lions' Suh - Fox 2 News Headlines

911 calls released from accident involving Lions' Suh

Posted: Updated:

By Amy Lange
FOX 2 News Reporter

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- It's been one week since a car accident involving Lions player Ndamukong Suh.  Now, the 911 calls from Suh and the other driver involved have been released.

"I just got sideswiped by a guy really bad, and he's trying to take off," Steve Vines told 911.

He called 911 at 6:29 a.m. last Thursday.  He had been sideswiped, he said, on the exit ramp at Southfield and Rotunda, and he said the other driver yelled at him and took off.

"He just left the scene and took off through the light and pulled in the training facility," Vines told the dispatcher.

But now we know, thanks to the 911 calls, that Ndamukong Suh was actually the first one to call 911 and he told dispatch exactly where he was going.

"I have a guy that just cut me off and I tried to go around him, and now he tried to hit me when I went around him after he cut me off," Suh told 911.

Suh's call came in at 6:28 a.m. to another dispatcher, one minute before Steve Vines' call.  It's clear the two men disagree on who was at fault, but Suh told dispatch where he was going.

"I don't trust this person.  I just took his license plate.  I'm a Detroit Lion and I'm going to take myself to work, which is right here, and can the police meet me there, please?" Suh said.  "I'm about to take a left to go to the facility."

"What's your name?" the dispatcher asked.

"Mr. Suh."

"Where are you going to meet us at the entrance there?"

"Yes, meet me at the entrance, please."

Dearborn police did responded and take an accident report.  They decided no tickets would be issued.

Many questioned why Suh wasn't ticketed for leaving the scene, including FOX 2 legal analyst Charlie Langton, who now says after hearing the 911 call, Suh, the bad boy of the Detroit Lions, did the right thing.

"I think actually what he did was actually good.  He told the police, I'm going to be in my Lions' facility.  Come and get me.  I'm here.  Here I am.  He complied," he said.

Suh was asked after practice about negative publicity and about his actions being under the microscope.

"There's always going to be a microscope on you.  That's what comes with the territory," he said.

Acknowledging that, he was also asked about his future as a Detroit Lion.

"I would love to be here.  This city is great to me, continues to be great to me.  The people are great people, and I love playing here.  That's why I wear the jersey," Suh remarked.

  • Amy LangeMore from Amy LangeMore>>

  • FEMA tours flood ravaged areas in metro Detroit

    FEMA tours flood ravaged areas in metro Detroit

    Tuesday, August 26 2014 6:30 PM EDT2014-08-26 22:30:35 GMT
    Gretchen Domino's home in Warren is a hazard - the basement completely washed out and covered in mold. Signs in her front yard shout her frustration - where is the help?"This is insane, you promise me this, you promise me that," she said.
    Gretchen Domino's home in Warren is a hazard - the basement completely washed out and covered in mold. Signs in her front yard shout her frustration - where is the help?"This is insane, you promise me this, you promise me that," she said.
  • Prosecutor Kym Worthy: Office is 'criminally underfunded'

    Prosecutor Kym Worthy: Office is 'criminally underfunded'

    Tuesday, August 26 2014 7:18 AM EDT2014-08-26 11:18:19 GMT
    Kym Worthy says in the last two years she's lost 90 lawyers and that Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano has slashed her budget to the breaking point. "I honestly don't think that the Ficano administration gives a damn about public safety the way that they should," she said.
    Kym Worthy says in the last two years she's lost 90 lawyers and that Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano has slashed her budget to the breaking point. "I honestly don't think that the Ficano administration gives a damn about public safety the way that they should," she said.
  • Police: Three family members shot in Warren during robbery attempt

    Police: Three family members shot in Warren during robbery attempt

    Monday, August 25 2014 7:25 PM EDT2014-08-25 23:25:09 GMT
    Police are searching for three masked gunmen they say are responsible for shooting three family members in Warren during an attempted robbery.
    Police are searching for three masked gunmen they say are responsible for shooting three family members in Warren during an attempted robbery.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices