Cuomo: Restoration of contraflow traffic for Midtown Tunnel - Fox 2 News Headlines

Cuomo announces restoration of contraflow traffic for Midtown Tunnel

Posted: Updated:
MYFOXNY.COM -

Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Friday that contraflow traffic lanes at the Queens Midtown Tunnel, allowing three lanes of traffic into the city during the peak morning drive time, will be in effect again beginning Monday morning.  

The traffic pattern is being restored after repairs to the signal control system operating the overhead lights inside the tunnel were completed. That allows green lights to be displayed over one lane and red lights over the other lane within the same tube, which is necessary during two-way traffic operation. Following the storm, the system could keep the lights either all green or all red. 

"With this change, the Queens Midtown Tunnel has been fully restored to pre-Sandy service," Governor Cuomo said. "It will provide more relief for inbound commuters during the morning rush hour during this busy holiday season." 

The contraflow traffic pattern is used between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. to allow the most traffic into the tunnel, which is a main corridor connecting Manhattan to Queens and Long Island via the Long Island Expressway. 

The tunnel was flooded with water from nearby Newtown Creek when Hurricane Sandy struck the night of October 29. Video of water rushing into the tunnel the night of the storm is available on YouTube. Photos of water rushing into the tunnel and recovery efforts are available on Flickr.com.

Following a massive recovery effort, the Queens Midtown Tunnel reopened in stages beginning with bus service on November 6, cars on November 9 and trucks on November 16. 

Work continues on the overhead signal control system at the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel, formerly known as the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, which was hit even harder by Sandy. The Carey Tunnel reopened around the clock to all traffic excluding trucks on November 19.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Baldwin: Rather pay up than apologize over arrest

    Baldwin: Rather pay up than apologize over arrest

    Actor Alec Baldwin is not apologizing over an incident that led to a disorderly conduct arrest in May.
    Actor Alec Baldwin is not apologizing over an incident that led to a disorderly conduct arrest in May.
  • Lawyers working to resolve LaBeouf's theater arrest

    Lawyers working to resolve LaBeouf's theater arrest

    Thursday, July 24 2014 12:35 PM EDT2014-07-24 16:35:07 GMT
    Lawyers say they are trying to resolve Shia LaBeouf's disorderly conduct case stemming from an incident at a Broadway show last month. Prosecutors and LaBeouf's lawyer told a judge Thursday that they're exploring an agreement to resolve the case. LaBeouf was arrested after he allegedly disrupted a performance of "Cabaret" starring Alan Cumming. He is due back in court Sept. 10.
    Lawyers say they are trying to resolve Shia LaBeouf's disorderly conduct case stemming from an incident at a Broadway show last month. Prosecutors and LaBeouf's lawyer told a judge Thursday that they're exploring an agreement to resolve the case. LaBeouf was arrested after he allegedly disrupted a performance of "Cabaret" starring Alan Cumming. He is due back in court Sept. 10.
  • Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:08 PM EDT2014-07-24 02:08:13 GMT
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices