Bloomberg: $19B in public, private Sandy losses - Fox 2 News Headlines

Bloomberg: $19B in public, private Sandy losses

Posted: Updated:
The homes along this Midland Beach neighborhood have piles of trash and belongings placed outside. (Nov. 2012) The homes along this Midland Beach neighborhood have piles of trash and belongings placed outside. (Nov. 2012)

NEW YORK (AP) - Mayor Michael Bloomberg estimates Superstorm Sandy caused a whopping $19 billion in losses in New York City. He's asking federal lawmakers to put up nearly $10 billion to reimburse both government agencies and private businesses.

The mayor's request Monday would come on top of a projected $5.4 billion from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Bloomberg says that money, and private insurance, won't cover all the public and private expenses from the storm. They could range from rebuilding roads to reimbursing a restaurant for lost business while power was out.

States typically get 75% FEMA reimbursement for disaster recovery. Congress sometimes authorizes additional aid.

The request comes as Congress and the White House face a Dec. 31 deadline to craft a sweeping deficit-reduction plan and avoid the so-called "fiscal cliff."

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Baldwin: Rather pay up than apologize over arrest

    Baldwin: Rather pay up than apologize over arrest

    Actor Alec Baldwin is not apologizing over an incident that led to a disorderly conduct arrest in May.
    Actor Alec Baldwin is not apologizing over an incident that led to a disorderly conduct arrest in May.
  • Lawyers working to resolve LaBeouf's theater arrest

    Lawyers working to resolve LaBeouf's theater arrest

    Thursday, July 24 2014 12:35 PM EDT2014-07-24 16:35:07 GMT
    Lawyers say they are trying to resolve Shia LaBeouf's disorderly conduct case stemming from an incident at a Broadway show last month. Prosecutors and LaBeouf's lawyer told a judge Thursday that they're exploring an agreement to resolve the case. LaBeouf was arrested after he allegedly disrupted a performance of "Cabaret" starring Alan Cumming. He is due back in court Sept. 10.
    Lawyers say they are trying to resolve Shia LaBeouf's disorderly conduct case stemming from an incident at a Broadway show last month. Prosecutors and LaBeouf's lawyer told a judge Thursday that they're exploring an agreement to resolve the case. LaBeouf was arrested after he allegedly disrupted a performance of "Cabaret" starring Alan Cumming. He is due back in court Sept. 10.
  • Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:08 PM EDT2014-07-24 02:08:13 GMT
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices