No cause in NTSB report on South Jersey train derailment - Fox 2 News Headlines

No cause in NTSB report on South Jersey train derailment

Posted: Updated:
Train derailment in Paulsboro, New Jersey. (Nov. 30, 2012) Train derailment in Paulsboro, New Jersey. (Nov. 30, 2012)

PAULSBORO, N.J. (AP) -- The National Transportation Safety Board's preliminary report on a New Jersey train derailment that released 180,000 pounds of a hazardous material doesn't say what caused the accident.

In the report released Monday, the NTSB says a train was moving at 7 mph when it derailed on a swivel-style rail bridge overt Mantua Creek in Paulsboro on Nov. 30.

That is below the speed limit of 10 mph.

NTSB chairman Deborah Hersman has previously said the agency is also looking into the mechanisms that lock the bridge into place.

A tanker car ruptured in the accident, releasing vinyl chloride into the air, leading to the evacuation of more than 300 families and businesses.

The final derailed car was removed over the weekend.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Cops: Lacey committeeman punches another official in face at Gille Park

    Cops: Lacey committeeman punches another official in face at Gille Park

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:55 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:55:37 GMT
    Lacey police gave Township Committeeman Mark Dykoff a summons for striking fellow Township Committeeman David Most at a gathering near the pavilion at Gille Park on Sunday, Police Chief David A. Paprota said.Sgt. Paul J. Sullivan and Patrolman Daniel Ricciardella responded to a report of an assault at 1:13 p.m. on Sept. 14 at the park, the chief said.
    Lacey police gave Township Committeeman Mark Dykoff a summons for striking fellow Township Committeeman David Most at a gathering near the pavilion at Gille Park on Sunday, Police Chief David A. Paprota said.Sgt. Paul J. Sullivan and Patrolman Daniel Ricciardella responded to a report of an assault at 1:13 p.m. on Sept. 14 at the park, the chief said.
  • Man charged in quadruple homicide, former Brick resident's murders

    Man charged in quadruple homicide, former Brick resident's murders

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:53 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:53:26 GMT
    The man Florida authorities singled out as a suspect in a quadruple homicide involving three former Brick, N.J. and Lehigh Valley residents now faces four first-degree murder charges. Adam Matos was charged in the deaths of his ex-girlfriend, her parents and her boyfriend, late Monday afternoon.
    The man Florida authorities singled out as a suspect in a quadruple homicide involving three former Brick, N.J. and Lehigh Valley residents now faces four first-degree murder charges. Adam Matos was charged in the deaths of his ex-girlfriend, her parents and her boyfriend, late Monday afternoon.
  • NJSIAA confirms investigation of 'racist' banana incident at high school football game

    NJSIAA confirms investigation of 'racist' banana incident at high school football game

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:10 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:10:03 GMT
    Assistant Superintendent of North Plainfield Schools Dr. Robert Rich confirmed that an incident of alleged racism occurred prior to the high school football game last Friday between Summit and North Plainfield. Rich also confirmed that there are internal and external investigations into the allegations.
    Assistant Superintendent of North Plainfield Schools Dr. Robert Rich confirmed that an incident of alleged racism occurred prior to the high school football game last Friday between Summit and North Plainfield. Rich also confirmed that there are internal and external investigations into the allegations.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices