Firefighters say a 14-year-old boy who was playing with a lighter started a fire that destroyed his family's home.
The boy lived with his grandmother, who was working at the time.
Everyone got out of the house safety. Firefighters rescued a 2-month-old puppy from inside, it's expected to be okay.
Cell phone video taken by FOX 10 morning producer Geoff Hillermann shows flames taking over the pergola of a home on Holly Street near 75th Avenue and McDowell.
From the air, you can see smoke billowing out of the roof.
"The whole house was on fire before the fire department got here," says Adrian Aguilar, the 14-year-old resident.
Aguilar says he was inside the house with his 21-year-old cousin when he looked out and saw flames around noon.
"So I ran next door over there and I was like help help help my house is on fire," he says.
Aguilar's grandmother, who he lives with, was delivering Meals on Wheels when the fire department called her.
She found her birth certificate and mother's death records among the charred rubble. Nothing else was salvageable.
"I have only the clothes I have on me," says Maria Aguilar.
You can see the charred bicycle and microwave. Firefighters say this home is a complete loss.
The fire department says the fire started outside and got in the attic. Firefighters say 14-year-old Aguilar started the fire while playing with a lighter.
"I was playing with a lighter but I know I wasn't the one that started the fire because I was doing it over there in the dirt," he says. "One strand of grass caught fire but I just stepped on it."
The fire department says Aguilar has been referred to the juvenile fire setter program where he'll spend several Saturdays getting educated on fire safety.
WJBK-TV | Fox 2
Didn't find what you were looking for?