Menendez says he called gov't on behalf of donor - Fox 2 News Headlines

Menendez says he called gov't on behalf of donor

Posted: Updated:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Sen. Robert Menendez is acknowledging his office contacted U.S. health agencies in a way that would help his biggest political donor, the same doctor whose private jet Menendez used for two personal trips to the Dominican Republic.

But the senator denies he sought to intervene improperly in billing disputes between the doctor and the government.

Menendez, a New Jersey Democrat, says Thursday he contacted the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to ask about billing practices. This was during a dispute between CMS and Salomon Melgen, a longtime friend and donor. The FBI searched Melgen's Florida offices last week.

Menendez says, "The bottom line is, we raised concerns with CMS over policy and over ambiguities that are difficult for medical providers to understand, and to seek a clarification."

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Cops: Lacey committeeman punches another official in face at Gille Park

    Cops: Lacey committeeman punches another official in face at Gille Park

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:55 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:55:37 GMT
    Lacey police gave Township Committeeman Mark Dykoff a summons for striking fellow Township Committeeman David Most at a gathering near the pavilion at Gille Park on Sunday, Police Chief David A. Paprota said.Sgt. Paul J. Sullivan and Patrolman Daniel Ricciardella responded to a report of an assault at 1:13 p.m. on Sept. 14 at the park, the chief said.
    Lacey police gave Township Committeeman Mark Dykoff a summons for striking fellow Township Committeeman David Most at a gathering near the pavilion at Gille Park on Sunday, Police Chief David A. Paprota said.Sgt. Paul J. Sullivan and Patrolman Daniel Ricciardella responded to a report of an assault at 1:13 p.m. on Sept. 14 at the park, the chief said.
  • Man charged in quadruple homicide, former Brick resident's murders

    Man charged in quadruple homicide, former Brick resident's murders

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:53 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:53:26 GMT
    The man Florida authorities singled out as a suspect in a quadruple homicide involving three former Brick, N.J. and Lehigh Valley residents now faces four first-degree murder charges. Adam Matos was charged in the deaths of his ex-girlfriend, her parents and her boyfriend, late Monday afternoon.
    The man Florida authorities singled out as a suspect in a quadruple homicide involving three former Brick, N.J. and Lehigh Valley residents now faces four first-degree murder charges. Adam Matos was charged in the deaths of his ex-girlfriend, her parents and her boyfriend, late Monday afternoon.
  • NJSIAA confirms investigation of 'racist' banana incident at high school football game

    NJSIAA confirms investigation of 'racist' banana incident at high school football game

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:10 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:10:03 GMT
    Assistant Superintendent of North Plainfield Schools Dr. Robert Rich confirmed that an incident of alleged racism occurred prior to the high school football game last Friday between Summit and North Plainfield. Rich also confirmed that there are internal and external investigations into the allegations.
    Assistant Superintendent of North Plainfield Schools Dr. Robert Rich confirmed that an incident of alleged racism occurred prior to the high school football game last Friday between Summit and North Plainfield. Rich also confirmed that there are internal and external investigations into the allegations.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices