4-alarm fire in Hoboken forces evacuations - Fox 2 News Headlines

4-alarm fire in Hoboken forces evacuations

Posted: Updated:
NEW JERSEY (MYFOXNY.COM) -

Hoboken fire officials say a four-alarm fire broke out in Hoboken Sunday afternoon and forced people to evacuate their homes in frigid conditions.

The massive blaze started between 72 and 74 Madison Street and fire crews had to set up the nearby school for evacuation center for the residents of the block. 

Bitterly cold doesn't even begin to describe how cold it is in Hoboken Sunday and with the wind… 

Eyewitnesses told Fox 5 they heard a major explosion, and if firefighters didn't get here as quickly as they did, it would be a very different story. 

"I was just watching TV and I heard a major explosion." 

Chris Barton caught the aftermath of that explosion on his cell phone. In an exclusive video obtained by Fox 5, the flames can be seen ripping through one small Hoboken, New Jersey building and then completely take over another. 

Right now it appears the fire completely gutted both buildings. 

"It was crazy, there was so much smoke. You can see one building catch on fire too, and that one burned down too," said Barton. 

Officials said the fire broke out around 3:00 p.m. Sunday afternoon when possibly when a resident flicked his cigarette, which then may have caused a propane tank on his back deck to explode. 

Jeff Urschler lives across the street from where the fire broke out. 

"Definitely when we heard the propane tank blew – the sound traveled through the whole house." 

Officials on the scene said high winds also played a factor in fanning and fighting the fire. Luckily a fire house is stationed around the block from the scene. 

Eyewitnesses said Hoboken firefighters got here in what seemed like seconds. 

"First a Hurricane, now this. Luckily the police -- they were here within a minute," said Urschler. 

Fire officials say six apartments were gutted and one person was treated for minor smoke inhalation.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Thursday, July 31 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-07-31 21:20:31 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices