Facebook agrees to remove Newtown pages - Fox 2 News Headlines

Facebook agrees to remove Newtown pages

Posted: Updated:

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal says Facebook has agreed to remove some pages from the social media site related to December's shootings in Newtown.

Blumenthal, along with U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy and U.S. Rep. Elizabeth Esty, all Connecticut Democrats, had complained about the so-called tribute pages in a letter sent Monday morning to Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg.

They say some of those pages, purportedly set up to honor the victims of the Dec. 14 shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School, have been used to exploit or harass the families, and could be used as vehicles for financial fraud.

Blumenthal said his office received a phone call Monday from Facebook officials, saying they would begin removing the pages immediately.

Facebook did not immediately reply to an email request for comment.

  • Connecticut NewsConnecticut NewsMore>>

  • Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Monday, September 15 2014 8:39 PM EDT2014-09-16 00:39:39 GMT
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a Bridgeport train crash last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a train crash in Connecticut last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
  • Feds inspect pump at Millstone nuclear complex

    Feds inspect pump at Millstone nuclear complex

    Monday, September 15 2014 2:30 PM EDT2014-09-15 18:30:43 GMT
    Federal inspectors are at the Millstone nuclear power complex in Waterford to examine a critical backup water pump that failed routine tests in July and last week.
    Federal inspectors are at the Millstone nuclear power complex in Waterford to examine a critical backup water pump that failed routine tests in July and last week.
  • Death row inmate seeks kosher diet

    Death row inmate seeks kosher diet

    One of two men convicted in the killings of a mother and her two daughters in a 2007 Connecticut home invasion is suing Connecticut, claiming his rights are violated because he's being denied kosher food in...
    One of two men convicted in the killings of a mother and her two daughters in a 2007 Connecticut home invasion is suing the state, claiming his rights are violated because he's being denied kosher food in prison.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices