Wheelchair student left inside school during fire alarm - Fox 2 News Headlines

Wheelchair student left inside school during fire alarm

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Jennifer Feltenstein says she was in math class when the fire alarm went off last month at New Rochelle High School. She says she watched as fellow students were taken outside.

Jennifer, who has cerebral palsy and uses a motorized wheelchair, was left on the third floor with an aide and a security guard for 20 minutes while firefighters checked out some smoking wires in the building.

Jennifer's father, Rich, says he is disappointed about the way the school handled the situation. He is also upset that Jennifer was left on the third floor, which has no wheelchair access to the street.

He says he was told that the school's policy during a fire drill is to designate safe holding rooms for special needs students. He says the fire department called for that policy. Yet he says Jennifer should have been taken outside.

The U.S. Department of Justice is currently looking into the matter to determine whether Jennifer was treated fairly.

Fox 5 reached out to the school for an interview. A spokesperson says the school has no comment.

  • New York State NewsNew York State NewsMore>>

  • Wedding reception at country club ends with brawl

    Wedding reception at country club ends with brawl

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:37 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:37:23 GMT
    New York State NewsNew York State News
    Police say they're investigating a large brawl that broke out at the end of a wedding reception held over the weekend at a suburban Buffalo country club. Officials tell local media that seven different police agencies were called in late Saturday to break up the fight at the Orchard Park Country Club. Officers say dozens of the approximately 200 guests were involved in the melee, which broke out after a member of the wedding party was tossed off the premises for inappropriate behavior.
    Police say they're investigating a large brawl that broke out at the end of a wedding reception held over the weekend at a suburban Buffalo country club. Officials tell local media that seven different police agencies were called in late Saturday to break up the fight at the Orchard Park Country Club. Officers say dozens of the approximately 200 guests were involved in the melee, which broke out after a member of the wedding party was tossed off the premises for inappropriate behavior.
  • Police: Man damages 2 golf courses after breakup

    Police: Man damages 2 golf courses after breakup

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 7:59 AM EDT2014-09-16 11:59:02 GMT
    New York State NewsNew York State News
    Authorities say a 23-year-old western New York man caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage at two Buffalo-area golf courses after being dumped by his girlfriend.  Police in the suburban town of Orchard Park say Austin Christopher used his pickup truck to tear up the ninth green at Harvest Hill Golf Course early Saturday morning.
    Authorities say a 23-year-old western New York man caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage at two Buffalo-area golf courses after being dumped by his girlfriend.  Police in the suburban town of Orchard Park say Austin Christopher used his pickup truck to tear up the ninth green at Harvest Hill Golf Course early Saturday morning.
  • Enterovirus outbreak hits New York

    Enterovirus outbreak hits New York

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 6:26 AM EDT2014-09-16 10:26:36 GMT
    The New York Health Department has confirmed that a viral-based severe respiratory illness has sickened several children in the state. New York is the latest state to confirm cases of sickness caused by enterovirus EV-D68. More than a dozen children are sick, officials said. The CDC has said this unusually severe outbreak has caused serious breathing problems.
    The New York Health Department has confirmed that a viral-based severe respiratory illness has sickened several children in the state. New York is the latest state to confirm cases of sickness caused by enterovirus EV-D68. More than a dozen children are sick, officials said. The CDC has said this unusually severe outbreak has caused serious breathing problems.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices