Hand sanitizer, olive oil, static electricity set girl on fire - Fox 2 News Headlines

FD: Hand sanitizer, olive oil, static electricity set girl on fire

Posted: Updated:
Ireland Lane Ireland Lane

By Jamie Wilson, FOX News - Bio

PORTLAND, Ore. -- A girl suffered third degree burns in a bizarre hand sanitizer fire. Just over a month ago, 12-year-old Ireland Lane came to Dorenbecher Children's Hospital after she hit her head at school and passed out.

On the day she was supposed to go home, officials say a mixture of olive oil, hand sanitizer and static electricity sparked a fire and burned Ireland from her stomach up to her chin.

"I love cooking.  I want to be a chef when I grow up!"

Ireland is a little girl with a big personality.  She's already talking about the prom, getting high heels and her dream career -- all just a few weeks after a terrifying moment in the hospital.

Ireland was in bed at the hospital making gifts for her nurses when the front of her shirt caught on fire.

"I felt really scared and ran out in the hallway and all the nurses jumped on top of me.  And then daddy ran out and jumped on top of me," she said.

Fire investigators determined that a combination of hand sanitizer and olive oil fueled the fire.  Ireland's dad had rubbed the oil in her hair to remove glue from test equipment.  And officials say the spark came from static electricity in Ireland's bedding.

"I was just rubbing my hands because it made a numb feeling on my hands," she said."

"Right now, it's just watching it and making sure it heals," said Steve Lane, Ireland's father.

Steve says she's making big progress.  She's already had two successful skin grafts with skin from her head and leg.

But Steve is more impressed by his daughter's positive attitude.

"I've always told them what I was told and that's God only gives you what you can handle.  And he must think she can handle a lot."

"If you just breathe and think of happy things when you first get there, it will work out fine," said Ireland.

After battling cancer, Ireland is kind of a pro at all of this hospital stuff.  But the main thing she wants to be now is just a 12-year-old girl.

When asked if she just wants to go back to class with everyone else," Ireland replied, "Yeah and be normal!"

Read more: Girl burned in hand sanitizer hospital fire stays positive

Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices