Hotel evacuated again due to natural gas smell - Fox 2 News Headlines

Hotel evacuated again due to natural gas smell


PHOENIX (AP) -- A hotel in northwest Phoenix was evacuated for the second time in as many days because of the smell of natural gas.

Approximately 140 employees and guests were evacuated from a four-story Holiday Inn at Cactus Road and Interstate 17 Monday morning when a natural gas leak was detected in the area.

A smaller number of people were evacuated from the same four-story hotel Tuesday morning after an employee smelled the rotten-egg odor of natural gas.

However, Fire Capt. Scott McDonald says there's no new leak.

McDonald says the odor resulted from residual gas that dispersed when a Southwest Gas machine being used to suck gas from the ground at the site of Monday's repair was turned off for refueling.

Related story: Phoenix hotel evacuated due to natural gas leak

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press modified.

Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices