1 Firefighter Killed, 1 Injured Battling Queen Village Blaze - Fox 2 News Headlines

1 Firefighter Killed, 1 Injured Battling Queen Village Blaze

Posted: Updated:
Capt. Michael Goodwin was killed fighting a fire in the city's Queen Village neighborhood Saturday. (COURTESY: www.iaff22.org) Capt. Michael Goodwin was killed fighting a fire in the city's Queen Village neighborhood Saturday. (COURTESY: www.iaff22.org)

A Philadelphia firefighter from Ladder 27 died fighting a three-alarm blaze Saturday night in the city's Queen Village neighborhood. A second firefighter was injured.

It was 5:33 p.m. when firefighters were called out for an alarm call at 748 S. Fourth St., near Fitzwater Street.

The fire is believed to have begun in the Jack B. Fabric's store, in an area also known as "Fabric Row," before it spread to a boutique and several upstairs apartments in the end-of-the-row building.

There were several collapses as firefighters worked to put out the flames. One firefighter was killed, Philadelphia Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers confirmed at a news conference later in the evening.

The fallen firefighter was identified as 53-year-old Capt. Michael Goodwin. He was a 29-year veteran of the department.

He leaves behind his mother, wife, a son and a daughter, along with three siblings, one of whom is a member of the police department's narcotics unit, officials said.

"Right now, we're asking for prayers from all of the city, from everyone, to support this family. This family is grieving," Ayers said. "... We're asking that you lift them all up with prayer."

WATCH VIDEO: News Conference On Firefighter's Death

The injured firefighter is Andrew Godlewski, 28, of Ladder 2, a five-year veteran. He's being treated at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.

"He was trying to rescue the captain when he was injured," Ayers said.

Godlewski was listed in stable condition and had his family at his side Saturday night.

The first engine arrived four minutes after the fire call came in, Ayers said. One person inside the building at the time was taken out by firefighters, as they stretched hoses into the building and went to work.

It was 31 minutes after the initial call when the second alarm was struck. Ayers said the crews faced "faced heavy smoke, heavy fire," adding that from the exterior you could see fabric throughout the store.

It was 6:21 p.m. when officials were informed that a member of the department was "down." The report changed to one member "missing," and a third alarm was struck by 6:30 p.m.

Ayers said they found out subsequently that the firefighter "had fallen from the third-floor roof to the second-floor roof."

"Firefighters were trying to rescue him from the second-floor roof when that roof collapsed," the fire commissioner went on to say.

Two members were down, and one was soon rescued and taken to a hospital. Goodwin, however, was still missing.

"Heavy Rescue, all of our resources were trying to fight the fire and, at the same time, were trying to rescue this captain," Ayers said. "During the rescue attempt, we had partial collapses of the roof, we had a collapse of … (a wall), and it was a very dangerous firefighting situation at that time."

The heavy rescue team cut its way through a V-shaped roof collapse to remove Goodwin from the rubble. He was rushed to the hospital, but he had already been pronounced at the scene, Ayers said.

This line-of-duty fatality comes just three days to the anniversary of the Kensington warehouse fire that took the lives of two firefighters in 2012.

Everett Gillison, the city's deputy mayor for public safety and chief of staff, spoke Saturday night on behalf of Mayor Michael Nutter, who is out of town.

"This is obviously a tragedy for the city. It is something that you never, ever want to go through. Unfortunately, we are going through it," Gillison said. "The mayor has ordered the flags to fly at half staff for the next 30 days, as is our protocol in honor of the heroic nature of what we have lost today."

He added that it's very early in the fire marshal's office investigation of what caused the blaze.

Goodwin's body was taken by motorcade to the medical examiner's office for an autopsy.

City officials said seven evacuees from the fire building are safe and staying with friends or family. Some power outages remained Saturday night on the 700 block of Fourth Street.

Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices