New Jersey's plans for storm grants approved - Fox 2 News Headlines

Superstorm Sandy

New Jersey's plans for storm grants approved

Posted: Updated:
NEW JERSEY (MYFOXNY.COM) -

Federal officials have given the go-ahead to New Jersey's plans to spend $1.8 billion in rebuilding grants.

Superstorm Sandy ravaged the Jersey Shore six months ago, but by the looks of things in Ortley Beach it seems like it has only been six days.

"I left the house with two suitcases; figured I'd be gone two, three days, maybe a week," Walter Johnson said. "Here we are six months later and I'm still homeless."

Johnson hopes to have a new house by Labor Day. He said tearing down his Ortley Beach home and building a new one is cheaper than fixing it up.

"I suffered about four feet of flooding," he said. "We were not allowed to come back to the properties for an entire month so the house was just riddled with mold."

Cleanup hasn't even started in some spots in Ortley Beach. One house is five blocks from where the nearest boardwalk was and a piece of that boardwalk ended up inside the house. We're told just to demolish a house is a lengthy process.

"It takes weeks and weeks and weeks, and without complaining everybody's swamped," John Van, a storm victim, said. "The people who come out to inspect the things you disconnected, they just don't have the time."

The time has finally come for some more federal funding. U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan and Gov. Chris Christie said more than $1.8 billion in grants is on the way to help people rebuild and elevate their homes.

"We're not here to take a victory lap because we know that we haven't achieved victory yet, anywhere near it," Christie said. "We're here to remind you once again we will not forget you."

This is the first round of disaster relief money to be allocated. Two more rounds of grants are expected later.

Sandy destroyed about 360,000 homes or apartment units in New Jersey, the AP reported.

CLICK FOR SANDY COVERAGE

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 2:16 PM EDT2014-07-30 18:16:51 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Amazon ships first order from New Jersey

    Amazon ships first order from New Jersey

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:31 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:31:08 GMT
    The world's biggest online retailer has shipped its first order from its new distribution center in New Jersey. The Interplak All-In-One Sonic Water Jet was sent from Robbinsville to an Amazon customer in New York. Amazon says it expects to employ more than 1,000 full-time employees at the 1 million-square-foot center just outside of Trenton.
    The world's biggest online retailer has shipped its first order from its new distribution center in New Jersey. The Interplak All-In-One Sonic Water Jet was sent from Robbinsville to an Amazon customer in New York. Amazon says it expects to employ more than 1,000 full-time employees at the 1 million-square-foot center just outside of Trenton.

  • Fence aims to curb near-record GWB suicides

    Fence aims to curb near-record GWB suicides

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:54 AM EDT2014-07-30 15:54:11 GMT
    George Washington Bridge (file photo)George Washington Bridge (file photo)
    Officials plan to build a fence to curb suicides on the George Washington Bridge. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says there have been 13 suicides and 40 rescues on the span so far this year. There were 16 deaths for all of 2013. Plans call for erecting a 9-foot fence to replace the current railing to make jumping from the bridge difficult.
    Officials plan to build a fence to curb suicides on the George Washington Bridge. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says there have been 13 suicides and 40 rescues on the span so far this year. There were 16 deaths for all of 2013. Plans call for erecting a 9-foot fence to replace the current railing to make jumping from the bridge difficult.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices