5 hurt, including 4 girls, when ATV apparently malfunctioned - Fox 2 News Headlines

5 hurt, including 4 girls, when ATV apparently malfunctioned

Posted: Updated:
Michelle Reaume said, "I just couldn't do anything.  It just all happened so fast." Michelle Reaume said, "I just couldn't do anything. It just all happened so fast."
SUMPTER TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WJBK) -

In rural Sumpter Township in western Wayne County, open space and four wheeling are the norm.  But Michelle Reaume said what happened early Sunday morning behind her Haggerty Road home was anything but normal.

"I learned how to drive on a four wheeler," Reaume said.  "I've been riding four wheelers my whole life."

Four children and one adult were injured after Reaume, who was hosting a backyard bonfire party for family, friends and their kids, lost control of her ATV.

"I couldn't do anything about it.  I immediately wheelied, and I couldn't turn.  I couldn't break," she said.

It was just after midnight.  The 23-year-old said she decided to take one last ride.  She was making a turn by a tree and claimed the throttle got stuck.

From pictures taken at the scene, you can see a pink tent and a bonfire.  Police said at estimated speeds around 45 miles per hour, Reaume ran over that tent full of sleeping children.  The four wheeler kept going, then flipped and struck the adults who were sitting in chairs by the bonfire.

"She was returning to where the campfire was located, and the throttle stuck open.  She didn't know how to maneuver it into a safe place," said Detective John Toth from the Sumpter Township Police Department.

"I just couldn't do anything.  It just all happened so fast, and as soon as it happened, I just got up, and I ran, my adrenaline was running, and I just called 911," Reaume said.

Officers from Sumpter, Huron and Van Buren townships responded to the chaotic scene.  The tent was full of ten- and eleven-year-old girls.  Three of them were rushed to U of M's Mott Children's Hospital.  One suffered minor head injuries.  Another had a serious injury to her spleen, and the third young girl suffered severe head injuries and will have to undergo surgery to get a metal plate in her head.

One adult woman was injured.  She fractured her knee.

Police are investigating, but they said they believe this is just a tragic accident.  Alcohol was present at this party, but they said they don't believe it was a contributing factor.

"In this particular accident, it appears as though the four wheeler malfunctioned," Toth said.

"I feel awful.  I feel like it's my fault," Reaume said.

She won't be facing criminal charges, but said she doubts she will ever ride a four wheeler again.

• Taryn AsherTaryn AsherMore>>

Man accused of calling taxi to move a body

Monday, July 28 2014 10:20 PM EDT2014-07-29 02:20:50 GMT
    A mother is struggling with the fact that her 21-year-old daughter lost her battle with drug addiction, and then she learns the despicable lengths two people went to get rid of her child's body.

Renisha McBride's family leaves courtroom as photos are shown

Thursday, July 24 2014 6:29 PM EDT2014-07-24 22:29:16 GMT
    On day two of the trial for Renisha McBride's shooting death, the final hours of her life and the moments after her death were detailed in court. Thursday the jury heard what Ted Wafer, her accused killer, told police about the shooting that night.

1 dead when car crashes into house after driver, passenger shot

Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:30 PM EDT2014-07-24 02:30:13 GMT
    One person is dead and another is injured after a shooting on Detroit's west side. The two victims were riding in the same vehicle, which lost control and crashed into the side of a house after the shooting.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Three arrested after military reservist killed during carjacking

Tuesday, July 29 2014 7:01 PM EDT2014-07-29 23:01:39 GMT
    A third suspect is under arrest in the carjacking and murder of a young man outside the Superland Market at Schoolcraft Road and Rutland Street Monday night.

Duggan bringing big changes to Detroit water department, starting with shutoffs

Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:56 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:56:25 GMT
    Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan is promising big changes at the water department, starting with the controversial shutoffs."Certainly it has hurt the reputation of the city," Duggan said. "I have been anxious to do something about it for awhile and I am just glad I have a chance to do it,"Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr handed over the water department to the mayor and City Council TuesdayDuggan says better publicizing assitance programs is the biggest priority."I still don't think the people in need h...

Royal Oak fire crew forced to watch house burn waiting for DTE

Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:47 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:47:18 GMT
    Roberta Erxleben has lived in her house for 30 years and says her garage would not have been destroyed Sunday had DTE responded to another electric fire sooner.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices