NY Jets head coach Rex Ryan knows what its like to struggle with weight gain. He's managed to keep off 100 pounds since lap band surgery in 2011. He shared his tips for success on Friday.
1. Ask for help. Exercise and diets weren't cutting it for me, and there came a time when I had to decide that enough was enough. I asked for help, and ultimately underwent the LAP-BAND AP® System procedure in 2011, which forced me to make a commitment to change my behavior for the long-term. I've lost a total of 115 pounds since the procedure, and I still have a ways to go. The bottom line is I now have a tool that keeps me on track and helps me stay disciplined with my eating habits.
2. Research your weight loss options.
3. Quick fixes don't last. We all know people who have had the sleeve procedure, and probably lost a lot of weight effortlessly. But because the sleeve doesn't require adjustments, many don't follow up with their surgeons and don't change their behaviors and therefore have regained their weight. The fact is, all weight loss surgeries will fail if you don't change your behaviors.
4. Look for solutions that are right for you.
5. Set yourself up for success.
6. Go outside and get active. A healthy lifestyle includes smart eating and consistent exercise
7. Find a support network. For men, it's easy for us to believe that we "choose" to be heavy and that all we need to do is get off the couch and go for a run to be healthier or leaner, but it's not that simple. Whether it's a family member, friend or nutritionist, finding allies who support your healthy lifestyle will help you maintain your weight goals.
8. Cut back on the snacks and junk food. That doesn't mean that you need to eliminate your favorite foods altogether, but be smart about your choices and enjoy them in moderation. I'm a huge fan of Mexican food, so instead of depriving myself I'll eat smaller portions and leave out sour cream.
9. Stay disciplined and change your behavior. When I'm on the road during the football season, it's definitely more challenging to watch my weight, but I've been able to stay on track and even lose a few additional pounds by paying attention to portion size and incorporating exercise into my day. I also eat with the team when we're on the road instead of going out