Neighbor helps blind man escape burning apartment - Fox 2 News Headlines

Neighbor helps blind man escape burning apartment

Updated:
  • Arizona HeadlinesMore>>

  • Playboy lists the top party schools; UofA bumps ASU from the list

    Playboy lists the top party schools; UofA bumps ASU from the list

    The University of Arizona took some bragging rights away from Arizona State University.The Tucson campus was named one of the top party schools by PlayBoy magazine.ASU, which has been a staple on the list for years, was knocked off the list entirely this year.The UofA finished 4th on the list. Top honors went to the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Wisconsin; West Virginia University finished 3rd, and the 5th place winner was the University of Iowa.
    The University of Arizona took some bragging rights away from Arizona State University.The Tucson campus was named one of the top party schools by PlayBoy magazine.ASU, which has been a staple on the list for years, was knocked off the list entirely this year.The UofA finished 4th on the list. Top honors went to the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Wisconsin; West Virginia University finished 3rd, and the 5th place winner was the University of Iowa.
  • Google holds 2014 "Zeitgeist" convention in Paradise Valley

    Google holds 2014 "Zeitgeist" convention in Paradise Valley

    Google's annual "Zeitgeist" conference is going on in Paradise Valley and has some of the biggest newsmakers and technology trendsetters attending.
    Google's annual "Zeitgeist" conference is going on in Paradise Valley and has some of the biggest newsmakers and technology trendsetters attending.
  • Ex-lawmaker resigns Arizona GOP post over remarks

    Ex-lawmaker resigns Arizona GOP post over remarks

    Former Arizona legislator Russell Pearce has resigned a top leadership position in the state Republican Party following backlash to remarks advocating mandatory contraception or sterilization for people on Medicaid.
    Former Arizona legislator Russell Pearce has resigned a top leadership position in the state Republican Party following backlash to remarks advocating mandatory contraception or sterilization for people on Medicaid.
MESA, Ariz. -

A man walked out of his Mesa condo to see his neighbor hanging from the second floor window of his burning townhouse.

Firefighters say the man who was trying to escape the fire is legally blind.

The blind man, who escaped the fire, was in the hospital Sunday night recovering from some serious burns.

Not only did the neighbor help him escape the burning house, he then took him to his house to tend to his wounds before help arrived.

"It was like out of a movie. Fire was wooshing up, it was kind of like, 'Holy crap, that's bad and it's right next door," said Chris Hansen, a neighbor.

Hansen is being hailed a hero after helping a legally blind man escape the second floor of his burning condo.

The man's condo at the Mesa Madrid Townhouses, near Alma School Road and Main Street in Mesa, caught fire just before 7 p.m. Sunday.

"He's considered legally blind. He smelled some smoke, he wasn't able to go downstairs, it was too hot , so he climbed out the second floor window. He broke it out, then he climbed out and hung on the railing that's underneath the window there until a neighbor came out and noticed him hanging there," said Mark Keough, Mesa Fire Battalion Chief.

"We step outside, I thought I smell something burning and I look over and my neighbor's hanging out the window by one arm, holding on to the bar. I just told my wife to call 911, I ran over and made him jump because the whole house was just engulfed in flames," said Hansen. "I said...'Just let go'. I felt bad because he fell landed on his back, but got him out of there."

The man, who lives by himself, cut his feet badly when he broke out his window.

Hansen wrapped them before paramedics arrived.

"When emergencies happen, you have to go into action," said Hansen.

Hansen said the man, believed to be in his 40s or 50s, was in shock.

Firefighters say he had 2nd and 3rd degree burns to his body.

"He was mumbling through it saying, 'I don't know what happened, I just walked out my bedroom, the house was on fire'," said Hansen.

The neighbor says the man had a dog, but as of Sunday night, firefighters didn't know if the dog survived or if it was a service dog.

Firefighters believe the fire started in the downstairs living room but they don't know the cause.

No other condos were damaged.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices