Detroit officer charged in 7-year-old's death takes the stand - Fox 2 News Headlines

Detroit officer charged in 7-year-old's death takes the stand

Posted: Updated:
Detroit police officer Joseph Weekley on the witness stand on Thursday. Detroit police officer Joseph Weekley on the witness stand on Thursday.
DETROIT (WJBK) -

It was a day of dramatic testimony in the manslaughter trial of the Detroit cop charged with killing seven-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones as Officer Joseph Weekley took the stand in his own defense.

"You said that you have two daughters. Am I right?" Weekley was asked.

"Yes," he said.

Weekly fought back tears recalling how he left his own six- and eight-year-old daughters to track down a murderer that night back in May of 2010, the night when he shot and killed Aiyana as she slept on the couch. Weekley did not see her. She was covered with a blanket when the flash-bang distractionary device was thrown through the window.

As soon as the bang goes off, I hear a [noise] coming from underneath what I thought was laundry, and so now I'm like there's somebody hiding under here," Weekley said.

The officer testified he had his sights on another man he spotted in a back bedroom, then turned toward the couch where he heard the sound.

"As I swing my weapon towards the person, an unidentified woman hit my weapon down in a downward motion, and I pulled back on the weapon ... I heard a shot," Weekley said.

"When you heard a shot Officer Weekley, did you know it came from your gun?" he was asked.

"No, I didn't," Weekley said.

Instead, he testified he thought he was being fired at and went after the man in the back, but that man did not have a gun, and when Weekley turned around, he said he saw Aiyana and her grandmother and realized what he had done.

"It's your responsibility to have control over that gun, isn't it?" Weekley was asked.

"It is my responsibility to have control over my weapon, yes," he said.

"Your gun is the one that fired the bullet that killed Aiyana, right?" Weekley was asked.

"My bullet, my gun shot and killed a seven-year-old girl, yes," he said.

Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Rob Moran maintained Aiyana's grandmother never went for the gun and that Weekley was lying and made a mistake that was grossly negligent and criminal. At times during the testimony, the exchange was heated.

"In order to get to that front door, you had to step over that little child's chair, didn't you?" Moran asked Weekley.

"No, sir," he said.

"You didn't see that either, did you?" Moran asked Weekley.

"I never saw the chair," he said.

Moran claimed police missed signs that children were in the house and questioned Weekley's story about Mertilla Jones going for his gun.

"All I can see is the shadow of her arm, top of the lady's head, and she's grabbing and hitting down so hard," Weekley said. "As she hits it down, I start to pull it back. I hear the shot, and I immediately go."

"Your testimony is that you didn't know you shot your gun?" Weekley was asked.

"No," he said.

"You didn't hear it shoot?" Weekley was asked.

"I heard it," he said.

"You didn't feel it shoot at all?" Weekley was asked.

"No, I didn't feel it," he said.

"So you pulled the trigger on that gun?" Weekley was asked.

"I pulled the trigger of that gun unintentionally and didn't even realize it at the time," he said.

So was that a crime or was it a tragic accident?

"I just feel devastated and just depressed, and I'll never be the same," Weekley said.

"Do you feel you were negligent at all with how you handled your weapon that night?" he was asked.

"No," Weekley said. "Every day this replays in my head. There's nothing else I could've done differently."

The jury will begin deliberations on Friday.

• Amy LangeMore from Amy LangeMore>>

Charges to be determined after teen dies in car crash

Monday, July 28 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-07-28 23:59:07 GMT
    Seven teenagers were on their way back from a bonfire late Friday night. A 16-year-old girl was behind the wheel of the Ford Expedition with her mom also in the car.

Fire from lightning strike devastates Roseville church

Monday, July 28 2014 7:21 PM EDT2014-07-28 23:21:36 GMT
    A raging fire happens in Roseville and of all places to be struck by lightning - the steeple of the New Life Church of God in Christ.Pastor Darrell Moore and his family are devastated."I got here and I found out I really didn't have a church anymore, " he said. Moore was attending a Sunday evening service at another church, when a member of new life called him repeatedly. When he finally answered, it was bad news."The fire department was here, there was water everywhere," said Mary Moore, mot...

How to handle a dog attack

Friday, July 25 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-07-25 21:48:45 GMT
    After a 46-year-old jogger was killed in a dog attack, a local expert gives advise on what to do if you're attacked by a dog.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Grosse Pointe Park's new farmer's market seen by some as a barrier to Detroit

Monday, July 28 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:25:26 GMT
    Some Detroiters are calling for a boycott of Grosse Pointe Park after the city built a farmer's market that they believe cuts off access to and from Detroit.

Detroit teen recovering after basketball accident at park

Monday, July 28 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-07-29 02:51:50 GMT
    A Detroit teen is seriously hurt after an accident at a Detroit park. He has a long road to recovery ahead, but has a strong support system that isn't giving up hope.

Man shot, killed during carjacking on Detroit's west side

Monday, July 28 2014 10:37 PM EDT2014-07-29 02:37:16 GMT
    A man was shot to death in an attempted carjacking on Detroit's west side, according to police.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices