Demolitions proceeding in storm-hit Mantoloking - Fox 2 News Headlines

Superstorm Sandy

Demolitions proceeding in storm-hit Mantoloking

Posted: Updated:

By WAYNE PARRY | AP

MANTOLOKING, N.J. (AP) -- The Jersey shore town hardest hit by Superstorm Sandy is making progress tearing down homes wrecked by the storm.

Mantoloking has demolished 35 homes so far, and cleared 17 property sites.

The borough started a demolition and debris removal program in May, and hopes to have many more homes removed by July 3.

The borough also plans to start removing some of the tons of sand that washed into Barnegat Bay and return it to the ocean beaches starting next week.

Every one of Mantoloking's 521 homes was damaged or destroyed by the Oct. 29 storm.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:33:28 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
  • Revel Casino Hotel starts closing in Atlantic City

    Revel Casino Hotel starts closing in Atlantic City

    Monday, September 1 2014 5:16 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:16:28 GMT
    Photo by Arun Kristian DasPhoto by Arun Kristian Das
    The most spectacular and costly failure in Atlantic City's 36-year history of casino gambling begins to play out Monday when the $2.4 billion Revel Casino Hotel empties its hotel.
    Atlantic City's newest casino and its costliest failure has begun its two-day shutdown.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices