Gary Brown resigns from Detroit City Council - Fox 2 News Headlines

Gary Brown resigns from Detroit City Council

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Gary Brown says he will step down as Detroit City Council President Pro Tem effective July 1.

Brown tweeted Wednesday that he has accepted a new role in the city's emergency manager's office.

"City Council's power is limited in scope and the legislative responsibilities do not provide any authority over city departments, and thus does not afford the opportunity to affect change in the areas of public safety and city services," Brown wrote in a letter posted on his website.

Orr says Brown will become Detroit's chief compliance officer, spearheading efforts to right-size and reform city operations as part of a broader restructuring. Brown will earn $225,000 a year.

"Gary is the type of change agent we need right now," Orr said. "He's not afraid to tackle the toughest issues and he brings a life-long love for Detroit to the job.

Brown was elected to Council in 2009. With Brown stepping down, only seven council members will remain. Kwame Kenyatta resigned last week.

The Council lost much of its authority when Orr was hired in March to fix Detroit's finances.

- The Associated Press contributed to this report

 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

    Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:15 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:15:40 GMT
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
  • 3-year-old shocked, downed power lines electrify fence

    3-year-old shocked, downed power lines electrify fence

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:51:19 GMT
    A 3-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting shocked by an electrical charge.
    A 3-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting shocked by an electrical charge.
  • Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:01 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:01:01 GMT
    As of 9 p.m., DTE Energy has restored power to 171,000 of the customers impacted by the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. Approximately 15,000 customers remain without power.
    As of 9 p.m., DTE Energy has restored power to 171,000 of the customers impacted by the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. Approximately 15,000 customers remain without power.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices