Firefighter injured in explosion at Lawrenceville home - Fox 2 News Headlines

Firefighter injured in explosion at Lawrenceville home

Posted: Updated:
One person was injured in a fire and explosion at a Lawrenceville home on Monday (Photo by George Franco/myfoxatlanta) One person was injured in a fire and explosion at a Lawrenceville home on Monday (Photo by George Franco/myfoxatlanta)
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. -

Authorities say a firefighter was injured in an explosion and fire at his home in Lawrenceville on Monday.

Crews quickly extinguished the flames at a home on Sundale Drive just after 1 p.m., according to Gwinnett County fire officials.

Tammy Cunningham said her husband, John Cunningham, a 30-year veteran of the Milton Fire Department, was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital after the blast. She said he suffered burns to his hands, forearms and torso.

He was the only one home at the time. His wife said he working on a new air conditioning unit in the basement of the house.

"He called me and said, ‘The house exploded. I got caught in the fire, I got 911 in the way, so you need to get home,'" said Tammy Cunningham.

Family members said that Atlanta Gas and Light indicated to them there was a gas leak in the washer-dryer area in another part of the house and that gas had accumulated in the duct work.

"I guess a little gas leak got in the ducts and then a spark hit it and it just blew," said Tanner Cunningham, the victim's son.

Tanner said that his father's firefighting experience helped him escape more serious injury.

"He actually knows how to read fire and everything," said Tanner Cunningham. "Most people, they don't. They just panic. If he'd panicked, he probably would have gotten engulfed in it all the way.

The explosion blew out the windows and damaged some siding of the home.

Several family pets received oxygen, but three cats died in the fire.

  • More Local NewsMore>>

  • Crews respond to house fire in Cartersville

    Crews respond to house fire in Cartersville

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 2:57 PM EDT2014-08-27 18:57:55 GMT
    Firefighters are responding to a blaze in the Waterford subdivision in Cartersville. According to the fire department, the multiple crews responded to the scene. Officials did not release the cause of the fire.
    Firefighters are responding to a blaze in the Waterford subdivision in Cartersville. According to the fire department, the multiple crews responded to the scene. Officials did not release the cause of the fire.
  • CDC worker returns from West Africa, low-risk Ebola exposure

    CDC worker returns from West Africa, low-risk Ebola exposure

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 2:54 PM EDT2014-08-27 18:54:44 GMT
    Officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced Wednesday that one of their staff members has returned from West Africa after low-risk exposure to the Ebola virus.
    Officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced Wednesday that one of their staff members has returned from West Africa after low-risk exposure to the Ebola virus.
  • Report: 'Magic Mike' sequel to film in GA

    Report: 'Magic Mike' sequel to film in GA

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 1:32 PM EDT2014-08-27 17:32:54 GMT
    Georgia newsGeorgia news
    The Savannah Film Office says the sequel to the movie Magic Mike is scheduled to be filmed in the Savannah area beginning in September, WSAV-TV reports.
    The Savannah Film Office says the sequel to the movie Magic Mike is scheduled to be filmed in the Savannah area beginning in September, WSAV-TV reports.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices