Bug bombs cause of Chinatown building explosion - Fox 2 News Headlines

Bug bombs cause of Chinatown building explosion

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Nine people, including two fire fighters, were injured in an explosion in the Chinatown section of Manhattan.

Fumes from two dozen bug bombs stored inside the building at 17 Pike Street sparked the explosion, said fire officials.

A portion of the building apparently collapsed in the incident on Thursday.

The explosion was reported at about12:42 p.m. in the beauty salon on the first floor.

Officials are investigation reports that as many as 20 of the bombs had been set off at once, reported the AP.

Three of the victims were seriously injured, according to the FDNY.   The two injured fire fighters had only minor injuries. All of the victims were taken to Cornell Medical Center.

Building resident Tszkan Cheung said he heard a "boom, like a bombing, like an earthquake." He saw firefighters carrying out a woman with a severely damaged leg.

SkyFoxHD was over the scene where a rescue was underway on the rooftop of the building.

A man could be seen seated on the roof as firefighters raised a ladder to him.

DNAinfo reported that as many as 20 bug bombs inside the building exploded.  Police sources told the site that one of the nearly two dozen pesticide canisters went off in Piao Liang Ren Sheng Beauty Salon, causing the rest to go off in succession.

The scene was under control shortly after 1:30 p.m.
  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices