Anthony Weiner admits to post-resignation lewd online chats - Fox 2 News Headlines

Anthony Weiner admits to post-resignation lewd online chats

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Disgraced former congressman-turned-comeback-candidate Anthony Weiner has apologized for yet some more filthy messages and photos sent to women in the Internet even after he resigned from Congress in 2011. But he said he will not quit his campaign for mayor of New York City.

The lewd messages and photos were originally posted on the gossip website The Dirty (warning: sexually explicit).

The images of the exchange show sexually explicit messages from a man called "Carlos Danger" but identified as Weiner by the woman. The woman, who was not identified, told The Dirty that the messages were from summer 2012, more than a year after Weiner resigned and claimed to be trying to heal with marriage to Huma Abedin, who gave birth to the couple's child in December 2011.

Weiner and his wife both briefly spoke at a news conference Tuesday evening ahead of a mayoral forum. He apologized and said he was grateful for his wife's forgiveness.

"Anthony has made some horrible mistakes," Abedin said, after admitting that she was nervous about making a public statement. "Our marriage, like many others, has had its ups and its downs. It took a lot of work and a whole lot of therapy to get to a place where I could forgive Anthony. It was not an easy choice in any way. But I made the decision that it was worth staying in this marriage. That was a decision I made for me, for my son, and for my family."

Weiner told reporters that he told his wife "everything" before they made the decision for him to enter the race for mayor. He implied that he has stopped sexual communications with women: "This is entirely behind me, it was when... I decided to get in, we had this conversation." He said that the last exchanges with women happened last summer.

Earlier in the day, Weiner's campaign released a statement.

"I said that other texts and photos were likely to come out, and today they have. As I have said in the past, these things that I did were wrong and hurtful to my wife and caused us to go through challenges in our marriage that extended past my resignation from Congress," Weiner said in the statement. "While some things that have been posted today are true and some are not, there is no question that what I did was wrong. This behavior is behind me. I've apologized to Huma and am grateful that she has worked through these issues with me and for her forgiveness. I want to again say that I am very sorry to anyone who was on the receiving end of these messages and the disruption that this has caused. As my wife and I have said, we are focused on moving forward."

Weiner is running for the Democratic nomination in a crowded field that includes City Council Speaker Christine Quinn. Despite some early polling numbers that showed Weiner had high "negatives," more recent surveys showed that his support was growing. A Quinnipiac poll released July 15 showed Weiner leading the race with 25 percent of support, ahead of Quinn's 22 percent.

Democrat Bill de Blasio, who trails Weiner and Quinn in the polls, said that "sideshows" are getting in the way of the debate about the "future of this city."

"And yes, I'm talking about Anthony Weiner. Enough is enough," de Blasio said in a statement. "I'm calling on Anthony to withdraw from this race -- for the good of the city that I know he loves as much as all of us."

In a statement, former Councilman Sal Albanese, a Democrat who is also running for mayor, said Weiner is "unfit for serve" and called for him to quit the race.

"Since he entered public life, Tony has made a career of misleading New Yorkers rather than improving their lives," Albanese said. "Now, just 49 days before the election, he admits that he mislead us again."

On the Republican side, mayoral hopeful John Catsimatidis agreed that Weiner should end his campaign.

"The Mayor of New York City should be a leader that all the residents of our city, especially our children, can look up to," Catsimatidis said. "Anthony Weiner should do what is right for his family and our city and drop out of the race for mayor so we can end this soap opera."

Joe Lhota, another Republican running for mayor, had no comment at this time, his campaign said.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:33:28 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
  • Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:08:19 GMT

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices