Gov. Cuomo won't advise Weiner to quit - Fox 2 News Headlines

Gov. Cuomo won't advise Weiner to quit

Posted: Updated:

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Gov. Andrew Cuomo, the head of New York state's Democratic party, said Monday it isn't up to him to tell scandalized mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner to exit stage left what he calls a political comedy.

"This is summer political theater in New York," Cuomo said Monday, continuing to refuse to substantively comment on Weiner's race. "We laugh because if we didn't laugh, we would cry, right?"

Weiner has attracted national headlines, dominated tabloid covers, and has been frequent fodder for late-night TV monologues. He held an awkward news conference pledging to stay in the New York City mayor's race last week just after the disclosure he exchanged more lewd text messages with another woman -- the same kind of scandal that cost him his congressional seat. His wife has stood by him, but his campaign manager has quit.

"People run, that's the way our system works," said Cuomo, who controls the state Democratic committee. "Anybody can run. That's the system. I'm not going to say who should run and shouldn't run because that's the system.

"Who wins, however, is different and that's where electorate comes in," Cuomo said. "We are only in the opening act of this play."

Cuomo has taken a stand more recently on other cases.

In May, he called for Assemblyman Vito Lopez, a Brooklyn Democrat, to resign over unproven allegations of sexual harassment which Lopez denies. Lopez has since faced state ethics charges, but no criminal charges.

Cuomo, however, wouldn't call for powerful Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver to step down for the role Silver admitted in a secret $103,000 settlement using public money to end the first batch of accusations against Lopez. Cuomo said the speaker's position is a decision for Democratic Assembly members to make.

  • New York State NewsNew York State NewsMore>>

  • Mark David Chapman

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:10:09 GMT
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
  • Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Friday, August 22 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-08-22 16:57:29 GMT
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
  • Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:00:26 GMT
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices