Minn. dog to make full recovery after eating 2 lbs. of rocks - Fox 2 News Headlines

PHOTOS: Minn. dog to make full recovery after eating 2 lbs. of rocks

Posted: Updated:
  • Pet of the WeekMore>>

  • Pet Connect : Meet King Julien

    Pet Connect : Meet King Julien

    Monday, April 14 2014 11:10 AM EDT2014-04-14 15:10:01 GMT
    Meet King Julien, he's a 1 year old black Chihuahua who's up for adoption at the Dearborn Animal Shelter.
    Meet King Julien, he's a 1 year old black Chihuahua who's up for adoption at the Dearborn Animal Shelter.
  • Pet Connect: Meet Clover

    Pet Connect: Meet Clover

    Monday, March 17 2014 9:19 AM EDT2014-03-17 13:19:40 GMT
    Meet Clover, a six month old puppy, that's up for adoption at the Michigan Humane Society of Michigan.
    Meet Clover, a six month old puppy, that's up for adoption at the Michigan Humane Society of Michigan.
  • Pet of the Week

    Pet of the Week

    Monday, March 10 2014 9:30 AM EDT2014-03-10 13:30:29 GMT
    Meet Tulip, an 11-week old kitten.
    Meet Tulip, an 11-week old kitten.
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (KMSP) -

A dog with abnormal appetite that left the pooch with "rock hard abs" underwent emergency surgery at BluePearl Veterinary hospital in Eden Prairie on Wednesday to remove 16 rocks weighing almost 2 lbs.

The 7-year-old golden retriever named Gordon likely ate river rocks out of a garden, but the dog's owner was perplexed by the pooch's stony meal since food is always accessible.

Dr. Jeff Yu performed the successful two-hour operation.

"You don't see too many dogs eat this many rocks usually," Yu remarked. "Most dogs will stop after one or two, but Gordon certainly had quite the hankering."

Gordon is expected to make a full recovery.

According to the ASPCA, pica -- consuming non-food items -- is a disorder that can arise in pets and may be a sign that a dog's diet is lacking in a nutrient. It can also be a sign of a digestive disorder, a parasitic infestation, a metabolic disorder, or poisoning.

Pica usually occurs in puppies and young dogs that are bored, but it can develop into compulsive behavior. In pets that seem frequently and intensely motivated to find and eat specific inedible objects, special training may be needed to correct that behavior.

Resolving compulsive pica is best accomplished with the help of a certified applied animal behaviorist or a board-certified veterinary behaviorist.

Dog owners can also discourage or manage pica using the following strategies:

- Provide lots of mental and physical exercise involving a variety of toys

- Prevent access to nonfood items by dog-proofing common areas

- Monitor dogs closely on walks and in areas where non-edible temptations may be

- Quickly and gently remove any non-food item a dog tries to eat and dispose of it

- Teach the "leave it" and "drop it" cues

- Consider applying a taste deterrent, like finely ground black pepper

- Use a basket muzzle, which allow dogs to pant and drink, to limit access

- Try to teach a new behavior, like barking or sitting, when near a nonfood item

- Use a punishment device that can be activated remotely

Online resource:

- Find Professional Help for Pica: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/finding-professional-help

Join our Facebook family

Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices