Video shows officers Tase, restrain man who later died - Fox 2 News Headlines

Video shows officers Tase, restrain man who later died

Posted: Updated:

Phoenix Police are coming under fire after amateur video shows the way they took a man into custody. The man's father says doctors told him his son was brain-dead after the run-in with police. He later died.

Now the family has an attorney and is calling for some of the officers to be fired.

The man's father is a former LAPD detective. He spent 29 and a half years with LAPD. He says officers should have been trying to save a life -- instead he believes they killed him.

The video is hard to watch. After several minutes of police trying to coax 44-year old Michael Ruiz off the roof of his apartment at 23rd Avenue and Indian School on July 28th, the man is seen sliding off the roof, into the hands of waiting police.

Listen closely in this cell phone video, taken by a neighbor. You can hear the Taser go off at least twice and you hear officers tell the man to stop resisting.

The man is handcuffed and his feet are tied together as officers drag his limp body down the stairs, his head hitting the pavement. Ruiz later died at the hospital.

His father says an EMS report showed his son was Tased 5 times. He's seen this video.

"Made me sick, I thought what's going on. My son Michael, he wasn't resisting he wasn't armed he wasn't combative and was trying to comply. He ended up dead, they killed him," says Richard Erickson.

Police say they were responding to a call from concerned residents.

"We understand an individual was acting erratically and causing damage to his apartment and now causing damage at another building inside of his complex. He had placed himself on his roof," says Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos.

No one knows why the 44-year old was on the roof. His family admits he had a history of drug abuse. Erickson wants to see at least three of the officers fired.

"We would say that to hold judgment until all the facts are known and the investigation is complete," says Martos.

"Why'd they do that, they're 5 grown, 6 grown men. Why didn't they grab him when he was on the porch, turn around and cuff him -- knocked him dead for trying to cooperate. He didn't do anything," says Erickson.

Police say the officers involved have been back at work. An internal investigation is underway and they're waiting for the medical examiner's report to determine the cause of death.

Investigators say it takes up to 6 weeks for toxicology results to come back.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices