Great Adventure to add world's tallest drop ride - Fox 2 News Headlines

Drop of Doom

Great Adventure to add world's tallest drop ride

Posted: Updated:
In this May 19, 2005, file photograph, people cheer at the end of a ride on Six Flags Great Adventure's roller coaster, Kingda Ka, in Jackson, N.J.  (AP Photo/Tim Larsen, File) In this May 19, 2005, file photograph, people cheer at the end of a ride on Six Flags Great Adventure's roller coaster, Kingda Ka, in Jackson, N.J. (AP Photo/Tim Larsen, File)

JACKSON, N.J. (AP) -- An amusement park in New Jersey says it will build the world's tallest drop ride.

Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson says Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom will hoist riders 415 feet in the air and drop them back to the ground at 90 mph. Adding to the thrill factor: The park's Kingda Ka roller coaster trains will hurl toward riders on Zumanjaro at speeds up to 128 mph.

Zumanjaro is scheduled to open in 2014.

Its three, 41-story towers will be built on the face of the roller coaster. Each tower will feature a gondola for eight riders.

Meanwhile, the park says this is the last season for its wooden Rolling Thunder roller coaster. The park says technology has surpassed the dual track coaster, which opened in 1979.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
  • FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices