NYC Opera needs to raise $7M by end of September - Fox 2 News Headlines

NYC Opera needs to raise $7M by end of September

Posted: Updated:

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York City Opera says it may have to shut down the rest of its productions this season if it can't raise $7 million by the end of September.

The Daily News reports that the announcement comes nine days before the premiere of the company's co-production with the Brooklyn Academy of Music of "Anna Nicole."

City Opera Artistic Director George Steel says the company needs the money both for the rest of this season and for it "to continue forward on solid financial footing."

The company has embarked on a $20 million fundraising effort.

The City Opera left its permanent home at Lincoln Center in 2011. That helped balance its budget. Now, Steel says what the company needs "is the stable funding that will make our work possible."

Unlike the Metropolitan Opera, the City Opera is devoted to bringing opera to the masses.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Governor kicks off 114th annual New York International Auto Show

    Governor kicks off 114th annual New York International Auto Show

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:00 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:00:18 GMT
    Auto fans you may already know this the 114th New York International Automobile Show is in town this week. Governor Cuomo was on hand Saturday to kick off the official opening of the 10 day event by driving a 2015 Chevrolet Corvette convertible through the Jacob Javits Convention Center.
    Auto fans you may already know this the 114th New York International Automobile Show is in town this week. Governor Cuomo was on hand Saturday to kick off the official opening of the 10 day event by driving a 2015 Chevrolet Corvette convertible through the Jacob Javits Convention Center.
  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices