Suspect in Dollar Store deaths to stand trial for murder - Fox 2 News Headlines

Suspect in Dollar Store deaths to stand trial for first-degree murder

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT, Mich. (WJBK) -

Lavere Bryant was arraigned Friday on two counts of First Degree Murder, two counts of Felony Murder, Armed Robbery, Unlawful Imprisonment, Felon In Possession of a Firearm and Felony Firearm.    

The hearing began with detailed instructions from the judge. He said the media could not record any audio of the proceedings. And for security reasons showing the faces of the witnesses was also off limits in the case. A case that's really just beginning for the families involved although progress is being made.
 
"It's always hard. It gets more difficult each day. I gotta stay quiet no matter what I want to say or do," Jamie Machus, Brenna's father, tells Fox 2's Robin Murdoch.
 
A tough day indeed for the families of 20-year-old Brenna Machus and 20-year-old Joseph Orlando. It was up to prosecutors on Friday to prove there was enough evidence to send Bryant to trial for their murders. In the end they did, but not before calling eight witnesses to the stand over a 5 hour period.
 
"Some of it was hard to listen to, mostly the autopsy. I needed to hear it I guess for closure," Jamie Machus says.
 
It's alleged Bryant went to a Dearborn Dollar Store back in July and shot Orlando several times in the head in the bathroom. A coworker testified she knew something was wrong when she showed up to open the store and the lights and alarm were off, and Orlando's cellphone lay on the floor. She says she immediately walked out and called police. She later had to identify his body. The worker also testified about $1,000 was missing from the store.
 
"We think he may have been trying to protect Brenna. We don't know for sure. We'll find out," Cynthia Konkel, Orlando's mother, says.
 
Surveillance video played in court showing Brenna Machus leaving the store that night with, at the time, an unknown person. That's why police released pictures to the media right after the incident, hoping to identify the person. An employee who often waited on Bryant at the store testified she saw that video and recognized the mannerisms, as well as the clothing, and contacted police to let them know she thought Bryant was the man they were looking for.

Brenna Machus was eventually found murdered in a grassy field. She, too, had been shot.
 
"Why couldn't he have just did what he needed to and dumped her off. Let her live. He didn't have to kill her. He'll pay for it the rest of his life," Jamie Machus says.
 
Both the families of Brenna and Orlando say they were pleased with the outcome of the proceedings and look forward to this going to trial.

Bryant's next court date is set for October 11th at 9:00am at the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Porch shooter Theodore Wafer back in court for 3rd day of trial

    Porch shooter Theodore Wafer back in court for 3rd day of trial

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:34 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:34:31 GMT
    The trial of a Detroit-area man who killed a young unarmed woman on his porch is entering its first full week of testimony.
    The trial of a Detroit-area man who killed a young unarmed woman on his porch is entering its first full week of testimony.
  • Parents of child held in basement appearing in court

    Parents of child held in basement appearing in court

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:30 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:30:40 GMT
    DETROIT -- The father and stepmother of a 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance are due back in court.
    DETROIT -- The father and stepmother of a 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance are due back in court.
  • Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Monday, July 28 2014 10:01 AM EDT2014-07-28 14:01:04 GMT
    As of 6 a.m., approximately 165,000 DTE Energy customers are out of electric service due to the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. DTE has restored power to 21,000 customers that were affected by the storm, which included wind gusts of up to 70 m.p.h. in the DTE service area.
    As of 6 a.m., approximately 165,000 DTE Energy customers are out of electric service due to the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. DTE has restored power to 21,000 customers that were affected by the storm, which included wind gusts of up to 70 m.p.h. in the DTE service area.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices