Arrest Expected In 2008 Beau Zabel Murder - Fox 2 News Headlines

Arrest Expected In 2008 Beau Zabel Murder

Posted: Updated:
PHILADELPHIA -

Five years after 23-year-old Beau Zabel was gunned down on his way home from work just a block from his apartment in the Italian Market area, homicide detectives are poised to make an arrest after a dogged search for justice.

"They never give up on these cases, this is one example, we're very close but we're not quite there yet," Commissioner Charles Ramsey told FOX 29 News on Friday.

Zabel's last seconds alive were caught on surveillance video as he headed home from work at this Starbucks at Fourth and South streets. It was his summer job before starting his career as a teacher here. That's when the gunman approached ,shot him in the neck and stole his iPod.

Sources say the suspect has been behind bars for 18 months for murdering the suspected getaway driver in the Zabel murder.

We spoke Friday with Zabel's father, Doug Kammeier, by phone from his home in the Midwest.

"I'm very pleased to hear this, very pleased. I didn't expect it would be coming being that the prime witness in the case was believed to have been killed," he told Fox 29.

Michael Molinari and his father Jerry own the auto repair garage at 8th and Alter. Their surveillance cameras capture video of the gunman as he stashed something in a flower pot right after the murder. That video helped detectives piece together the case against the gunman, who we are not naming because he has not been charged.

"I'm glad we have the cameras. I hope more people get cameras so we get crime off the street," Michael Molinari said.

"I wish I had a better camera so you could see the face. Today, I have a better camera," Jerry Molinari said.

Zabel's father says he wasn't sure his son's killer would ever be brought to justice. He knows homicide detectives tracked down every lead and passionately pursued evidence to build the case against the gunman.

"I'm very happy to hear that a warrants coming down and I really hope they're able to proceed and go all the way through with it," Kammeier said.

"Hopefully we're able to resolve it and bring sense of relief to the family," Ramsey added. "It will never replace him, but at least they know who's responsible and that person will be punished accordingly."

A murder warrant is now being reviewed by the District Attorney's office. Again, the suspect is already behind bars on another murder case. 

  • Dave SchratwieserMore>>

  • Newborn of Pregnant Woman Killed In Frankford Dies

    Newborn of Pregnant Woman Killed In Frankford Dies

    Monday, September 15 2014 5:23 PM EDT2014-09-15 21:23:15 GMT
    Police say the 25-year-old Megan Doto was full-term when someone shot her in the face with a .40-caliber, fully automatic weapon just before noon.
    Police say the 25-year-old Megan Doto was full-term when someone shot her in the face with a .40-caliber, fully automatic weapon just before noon.
  • An Inside Look At The Philadelphia Police Department's DIVRT Program

    An Inside Look At The Philadelphia Police Department's DIVRT Program

    Wednesday, September 10 2014 5:52 PM EDT2014-09-10 21:52:35 GMT
    Almost every day we show you surveillance videos that help get dangerous criminals off the street.FOX 29's Dave Schratwieser takes us inside Philadelphia's program that's putting those criminals behind bars.It's a plea heard all too often when police put out surveillance video of a crime like of a shooting last week that left a 49-year-old Wynnefield man paralyzed from the waist down.As victim's families plead for the public's help, detectives scramble to find video to identify the shooter. I...
    Almost every day we show you surveillance videos that help get dangerous criminals off the street.FOX 29's Dave Schratwieser takes us inside Philadelphia's program that's putting those criminals behind bars.It's a plea heard all too often when police put out surveillance video of a crime like of a shooting last week that left a 49-year-old Wynnefield man paralyzed from the waist down.As victim's families plead for the public's help, detectives scramble to find video to identify the shooter. I...
  • Police Issue Arrest Warrant For Suspect In Shooting That Left Victim Paralyzed

    Police Issue Arrest Warrant For Suspect In Shooting That Left Victim Paralyzed

    Sunday, September 7 2014 3:18 PM EDT2014-09-07 19:18:37 GMT
    Philadelphia police say they have issued an arrest warrant for Allan Stokes, 23, of the 5700 block of Harmer Street in Philadelphia.
    Philadelphia police say they have issued an arrest warrant for Allan Stokes, 23, of the 5700 block of Harmer Street in Philadelphia.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices