Teen With Special Needs Inspires Kids With Disabilities - Fox 2 News Headlines

Teen With Special Needs Inspires Kids With Disabilities

Posted: Updated:

Sidney Snow's journey hasn't been easy but as FOX 29's Karen Hepp shows you in the face of adversity Sidney makes others smile.

Sidney Snow barely survived her birth, a delivery so traumatic it deserves the term devastating.

For the bright and loving little girl there would be consequences. First came a diagnosis of cerebral palsy. Later, hearing loss both profound and progressive. Challenges her Mom Ali Snow knew would set her daughter apart for a lifetime.

"My biggest prayer was let her be able to read because I don't care if she's in a wheel chair, but if that child can read. She can do a world of things," Ali said.

Seems the Good Lord was listening. Now 15, Sidney Snow is an insatiable reader who found in the flow of words and ideas insulation from the hardships headed her way.

"You just take on a different perspective and that can help you take on life a different way," Sidney said.

From that perspective has come resilience - toughness in the face of cruelty. The constant muscle contractions associated with cerebral palsy altered Sidney's movement.

The hearing loss affects her speech. Over the years, neither has gone unnoticed by classmates.

"I know I am not any of those things that they are saying about me. I just try to be the bigger person," Sidney said.

Not just in words, but deeds. Within her high school Sidney seeks out those whose shoes she's walked in - kids with disabilities even greater than her own.

"I just walk in there and I might have had a bad morning and I see the smiles on their faces and it's just wow everything is just so superficial right now there's so much more in life," Sidney said.

"I look at those kids and they have much less than I do and I look at myself and go wow I am so blessed I can walk I can talk and I can express my feelings to others," Sidney said.

Her Mom calls it compassion born of suffering that quietly continues nearly halfway through her sophomore year. You see, when Sidney goes to class, this is what she hears.

"It's like Charlie Brown talk wah-wah -wah and every now and then you hear something that you might understand," Sidney said.

Sidney is forced to compensate by reading lips - an imperfect and utterly exhausting process.

"I come home with headaches, migraine headaches," Sidney said. "I've never been one for curing cerebral palsy or deafness because that's made me who I am so I don't want to get rid of it."

Despite it all, Sidney Snow makes mostly A's and she takes pleasure in the companionship of a Horse named Tommy - a rare teen whose drawn power from what most perceive as weakness.

Comfortable in her own skin, secure in her faith. Call it strength. Sidney's strength.

• Spotlight StoriesMore>>

Wendy's Employee Gets Smacked On Camera

Thursday, April 24 2014 12:45 AM EDT2014-04-24 04:45:47 GMT
    A woman in Texas working at a fast food restaurant gets an unexpected "slap" in the face.It's part of the "smack" game, and the whole thing was recorded.

Teacher Accused Of Taking Bible Away From Student

Thursday, April 24 2014 12:27 AM EDT2014-04-24 04:27:21 GMT
    Texas- Mixed reactions in Texas after a teacher reportedly took a Bible away from a student during "Read to Myself Time."

Special Needs Boy Faces Felony Charges

Thursday, April 24 2014 12:20 AM EDT2014-04-24 04:20:16 GMT
     It’s a story that has gotten national attention. An 8-year-old with 'special needs' was detained by police in Michigan.
  • Local NewsMore>>

Tip Leads To Marijuana Bust Inside Havertown Residence

Tip Leads To Marijuana Bust Inside Havertown Residence

Thursday, April 24 2014 12:31 AM EDT2014-04-24 04:31:43 GMT
    Haverford Police have arrested a local doctor and his daughter accused of growing and distributing marijuana inside their home.Haverford Police have arrested a local doctor and his daughter accused of growing and distributing marijuana inside their home.

DUI Driver Will Not Be Charged In Teen's Death

Thursday, April 24 2014 12:24 AM EDT2014-04-24 04:24:27 GMT
    Cops say a driver accused of hitting and killing a Bucks County teen and injuring another while driving under the influence of prescription drugs and cocaine will not be charged.

Forest Fire Burning In Cumberland County

Wednesday, April 23 2014 11:17 PM EDT2014-04-24 03:17:05 GMT
    Skyfox was over the scene near Ackley Road in Downe Township Wednesday night.
    Skyfox was over the scene near Ackley Road in Downe Township Wednesday night.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices