FOX 29 Explores Homeowner Policies - Fox 2 News Headlines

FOX 29 Explores Homeowner Policies

Posted: Updated:

In light of recent storms, downed trees, power outages, and everything else that goes with the severe weather, what are you covered for? FOX 29 brought in business analyst Dan Roccato for some advice.

If a tree falls on your property and damages your house, it's best to look under your homeowner's policy, Roccato advises. Consult your auto policy if your car gets damaged. Always consult your homeowner's policy if something on your property gets damaged, no matter what the source caused the damage.

Most homeowner's policies allow you to write off food that goes bad because a power outage caused the freezer or fridge to lose its function, so definitely read your policy to see if you have a clause to get reimbursed for spoiled food.

Damage to pipes is usually covered if you can prove you didn't voluntarily turn off the heat. Different policies have different types of coverage for valuables in your house. Make sure to find out.

Check your policy also to see if you can be reimbursed for staying in a hotel. Some policies will not cover you if you don't have power and choose to go to a hotel; only if your house actually has damage that forces you into another temporary shelter.

"The reality is, you don't think about your insurance until you need it," Roccato said. The bottom line, Roccato said is that now's the time to really look at your homeowner policies. Don't risk being surprised.

As a general rule of thumb, make sure to take ample pictures and keep receipts in case you need to make any claims.

Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices