A Texas man died Thursday when he went back inside his burning home to get a cell phone.
Three people lived in the home in Plano, KDFW reports. All three got out of the burning home about 1 a.m., but two people went back inside to get items from the house.
One adult male in his 70s didn't make it back out and was found dead inside the house by firefighters. The man reportedly went inside to get his cell phone to call 911.
The man's identity has not been released and the medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
Investigators believe the fire may have started in the kitchen, but have not made an official ruling.
Fire officials said 90 percent of people who go back into a burning house do not make it back outside.
"The smoke is so poisonous, so toxic, that just a breath or two of it will make the body start to have symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning," said Plano Fire-Rescue Capt. Peggy Harrell.
WJBK-TV | Fox 2
Didn't find what you were looking for?