FORT HOOD, Texas (WJBK) -
A gunman opened fire Wednesday at Fort Hood in an attack that left four dead, including the shooter, law enforcement officials said.
One of the officials, citing official internal U.S. Justice Department updates, said 14 others were hurt.
A U.S. law enforcement official said reports circulating within the Justice Department indicate the shooter died of what appears to be a self-inflicted wound.
Ariel McKissick, originally from Detroit, lives at Fort Hood with her husband, Shane. When she spoke with FOX 2 Wednesday evening she had not yet spoken with her husband, but had been assured he was safe.
Ariel, who is 8 months pregnant, was at home when she heard the sirens go off. She says her husband, Private First Class Shane McKissick, works around the corner from where they live.
She had not heard from him yet because soldiers could not use their phones, and most phone connections were not working anyway. Ariel says she could not make calls or send text messages.
The "all clear" was given at the base just before 10 p.m. so Ariel said she expected to hear from Shane soon.
The Texas Army base was the scene of a mass shooting in 2009. Thirteen people were killed and more than 30 wounded in what was the deadliest attack on a domestic military installation in history.
Copyright 2014 by myFOXDetroit.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
WJBK-TV | Fox 2 16550 West Nine Mile Rd. Southfield, MI 48075
Main Station: (248) 557-2000 Newsroom: (248) 552-5103