Schumer: Port Authority must be reformed - Fox 2 News Headlines

Schumer: Port Authority must be reformed

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., wants to reform the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey by an act of Congress.

He said that one of the biggest issues is the way the Port Authority backs projects that really have nothing to do with the Port Authority. In the last decade alone, the Port Authority has spent $800 million on such projects. Even more troubling is that these projects generated absolutely no return for the agency.

Schumer outlined his seven-point plan to reform the scandal-ridden Port Authority. The New York and New Jersey agency, according to the Democrat, has become a political cookie jar whose core mission of running bridges, tunnels, and airports has been forgotten.

"Bridgegate turned a watchful eye to the Port Authority and made bright and clear what before was opaque but bubbling under the surface, the Port Authority is on the wrong track," he said.

During so-called Bridgegate, several lanes of the George Washington Bridge were ordered shut down by a Port Authority top official and an aide to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie as political retribution against the mayor of Fort Lee.

Part of Schumer's proposal includes transparency, a single director, and the elimination of so called pet projects.

"In its 10-year capital plan, they propose spending another billion dollars on such projects," he said. "Let me repeat, another billion dollars in financing projects that won't net the Port Authority a penny."

Such projects include the Pulaski Skyway and the completion of 3 World Trade Center. Yet tolls and airport fees continue to rise, much to the dismay of New Yorkers we spoke to.

Crain's New York senior reporter Daniel Geiger said he believes that Schumer's reform plan is possible if more state leaders back it.

  • New York State NewsNew York State NewsMore>>

  • Mark David Chapman

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:10:09 GMT
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
  • Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Friday, August 22 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-08-22 16:57:29 GMT
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
  • Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:00:26 GMT
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices