I tried to wait until after Memorial Day to finish my first mock draft but the itch was simply too much to bear. Today, I’ll work through the first round and give some thoughts after each selection.
12 Team Snake Draft. (I owned the 9th selection)
(1) Peyton Manning QB: Personally, I’m not a QB with the first pick guy. This league only gives 4 points for passing TD’s so although I can see the argument for more rare air in Denver, I wouldn’t have taken Peyton at 1 overall.
(2) Adrian Peterson RB: Should have been the first overall pick, but oh well…sometimes good things fall right in your lap. Started the run on backs.
(3) Jamaal Charles RB: I believe the first three picks in most drafts will be AP, Charles and LeSean McCoy…order will vary depending on taste. Charles at 3 will happen in several leagues.
(4) LeSean McCoy RB: I’d be happy if McCoy slipped to me at 4. Great value with an offense built for him.
(5) Jimmy Graham TE: With the above backs gone, my top runners on the board are Matt Forte and Eddie Lacy. I’m hoping one of them slips to me at 9..but not holding out too much.
(6) Matt Forte RB: There goes Forte…Lacy will likely be gone too. I’m a big Forte fan as he does everything. He’ll likely go in the fourth spot in most drafts.
(7) Marshawn Lynch RB: Yeah…I get it, Lynch is a beast, but there is something about him I have never fully bought into. Not exactly sure why…might be the gold grills. Will the guy above me take Lacy? I’m good either way…I’ll take Megatron if he does.
(8) Calvin Johnson WR: Alright! I’m in on Eddie Lacy! There are three guys who should be targeted with the fourth overall pick after AP, Charles and McCoy. They are Forte, Lacy and Megatron.
(9) Eddie Lacy RB (ADP 6): Lacy scored touchdowns in 11 of 15 games in his rookie season and also topped 100 combo yards six times. With a healthy Aaron Rodgers forcing defenses to focus on the pass, Lacy will provide balance in the running game and his 20 touches per game will be productive.
(10) Demaryius Thomas WR: I won’t lie, I thought about doing the opposite with Thomas, then coming back with another WR. If Lacy and Johnson had been gone, I probably would have pulled the trigger. (Spoiler…it would have been a sweet one-two combo)
(11) Doug Martin RB: Martin was in the running for top overall pick in the draft last season. His current ADP is early second round. I would have gone opposite with a WR here.
(12) Zac Stacy RB: Huh?