Detroit schools miss deadline for $4M grant - Fox 2 News Headlines

Detroit schools miss deadline for $4M grant

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (WJBK) - A spokesperson for Detroit Public School blames a computer glitch for losing the district millions of dollars that would have been used to help low income children.

"We did not handle that application in a timely fashion and thus are not eligible for those funds," says Steve Wasco.

And just like that, $4.3 million in free money went down the drain. Those dollars allocated to Detroit's Head Start program are now not available to incoming Detroit preschoolers next school year.  

DPS officials blame a computer glitch, waiting until the last minute e-file the grant application only to find out there was trouble in cyberspace,

"At the end of the day, we missed the deadline and we are not eligible for the funds and we understand that," he says. He adds the district is in the process of investigating the entire procedure internally.

"They've known about the application process well over a year and they could have submitted it at any time. Why wait until he last minute?" says Detroit School Board President Lamar Lemmons.

He calls this failure a deliberate, systematic dismantling of Detroit Public Schools. The Head Start program has served 30 million children across the country since 1965, and more than 900 kids in Detroit just last year.

Head Start offers free lunches, medical referrals and social services like parenting workshops, English language classes and, in some cases, transportation and even home visits.

In a city where more than 80 percent of Detroit children qualify for reduced lunch there is no room for error.

"The children are the ones who are suffering in the end and an entire society is suffering as a direct result," says Lemmons.

But DPS has a different spin, announcing a Pre-K expansion using federal funds from Title One and Great Start Readiness programs to add 540 Pre-K seats to 34 new classrooms.

A spokesman for DPS told FOX 2's Maurielle Lue next year's preschoolers and their families will receive the same benefits Head Start would typically offer.

"There is no change in the level of services; there is no change in the curriculum; there is no change in the program; the difference is the funding source," says Wasco.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Benefit for injured Grosse Pointe Police officer

    Benefit for injured Grosse Pointe Police officer

    Friday, July 25 2014 11:24 AM EDT2014-07-25 15:24:37 GMT
    48-year-old Keith Andersen retired in February from the Grosse Pointe Police Department. On June 21, he was involved in a roll over accident where he suffered a broken neck. As of now Keith has no movement in his the lower half of his body. The Fraternal Order of Police, Grosse Pointe Lodge 102 is holding a fundraiser for Keith on Aug 5th. Amy Lange will have a full report on Fox 2 News at 5:00 p.m.
    48-year-old Keith Andersen retired in February from the Grosse Pointe Police Department. On June 21, he was involved in a roll over accident where he suffered a broken neck. As of now Keith has no movement in his the lower half of his body. The Fraternal Order of Police, Grosse Pointe Lodge 102 is holding a fundraiser for Keith on Aug 5th. Amy Lange will have a full report on Fox 2 News at 5:00 p.m.
  • Teenager's body discovered in wooded area in Armada

    Teenager's body discovered in wooded area in Armada

    Friday, July 25 2014 10:37 AM EDT2014-07-25 14:37:19 GMT
    Police in Armad Township tell Fox 2's Roop Raj that the body of a 14-year-old female teen has been found in a wooded area near a recreational trail in the Macomb County village of Armada.
    Police in Armad Township tell Fox 2's Roop Raj that the body of a 14-year-old female teen has been found in a wooded area near a recreational trail in the Macomb County village of Armada.
  • Judge rules Warren Evans can stay on the ballot

    Judge rules Warren Evans can stay on the ballot

    Friday, July 25 2014 10:16 AM EDT2014-07-25 14:16:52 GMT
    A judge ruled Friday, Warren Evans will stay on the August primary ballot for Wayne County Executive.
    A judge ruled Friday, Warren Evans will stay on the August primary ballot for Wayne County Executive.
Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices