Serial Rapist Is Released To Los Angeles County Amid Protests - Fox 2 News Headlines

Serial Rapist Is Released To Los Angeles County Amid Protests

Posted: Updated:
Palmdale, CA -

(FOX 11 / AP) The so-called "Pillowcase Rapist" was released from a mental hospital and moved into an Antelope Valley home amid protests by community members Wednesday.

Christopher Hubbart, 63, was released from Coalinga State Hospital to an unincorporated area of the county near Palmdale, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney's office.

He was dropped off at 1:40 p.m. in a silver car and hid his face as he walked into the back of the house while staff unloaded suitcases, said Cheryl Holbrook, an area resident who is one of the Ladies of Lake LA, a community group created to fight Hubbart's release to their community. She said a couple guards went in the house and remained with him and two sheriff's patrol cars were on the corner of the street.

"It scares the hell out of me," Holbrook said. "When we saw him coming down the road, I literally got the shakes. I wanted to cry. He's going to reoffend, he's going to attack somebody again, and he's going to take somebody's life."

The decision by a Northern California judge to release Hubbart to a desert community in the Antelope Valley has been met by vociferous opposition from the Los Angeles County district attorney, lawmakers and others. Hubbart has acknowledged raping and assaulting about 40 women between 1971 and 1982. He got his nickname by using a pillowcase to muffle his victims' screams.

Hubbart was ordered released by Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Gilbert Brown to Los Angeles County last year because he was born and raised there; his more recent crimes were committed in Santa Clara County. When his prison term ended in 1996, he was deemed a sexually violent predator and confined to a state mental hospital.

Release terms require him to wear a GPS ankle bracelet, continue treatment, obey a curfew and be subject to random searches and seizures, drug testing and polygraphs.

Assemblyman Steve Fox released a statement saying "words cannot express" the frustration he feels that Hubbart has been released into the area he represents.

"I believe the court that ordered his release has put the rights of this one rapist above the rights of the families of the Antelope Valley - especially women and children," Fox said. "This fight is not over. Serial rapists and pedophiles belong in prison, not next door."

From Bob DeCastro:

The so-called "Pillowcase Rapist" is a free man. 63-yr-old Christopher Hubbart arrived in a white sedan around 140pm Wednesday, covering his face with papers. His driver tried to push away a man with the camera.

Between 1971 and 1982 Hubbart raped and assaulted approximately 40 women. Detectives say he would stalk his victims, entering their homes when they were alone. He got his nickname because he oftened used a pillowcase to muffle victim's screams.

Despite loud opposition by the LA County DA's office and others, a Northern California judge granted his release from a mental hospital to this Antelope Valley community where he was born and raised.

This isn't the first time Hubbart has been released from prison. He was arrested and sentenced several times. He raped each time he was released. Still in 2013, a judge determined Hubbart was no longer a threat to society.

His new home in Lake Los Angeles is about 500 feet away from his nearest neighbor. Hubbart is being charged $2400 in monthly rent for a home that reportedly rents for $500. It will paid for by the state.

Hubbard is required to continue his treatment, wear a GPS ankle bracelet, and is subject to random searches and drug test.

Update From Hal Eisner:

On a dusty bumpy back road in the Lake Los Angeles area a half-a-dozen or so protesters are chanting and screaming comments at the man inside the house. 63 year old Christopher Hubbart, the so-called “pillowcase rapist” whose second day of being a Lake Los Angeles-area resident was pretty much like the first. Lots of protesting fromo people who don't want him there like Debra Hill. She says, “we’re not going to take this. Just because they delivered him doesn’t mean we don’t have to take him.” Another protester, Glenna Manning, says "we’re letting our anger out and hopefully he’s getting the message to get him out. We’re very uncomfortable just like he is.” (– Protester)

John Perry, one of the guards whose been hired to guard Hubbart since his arrival, says inside the house, Hubbart has shown some feelings of anxiety.

He describes the 63-year-old as quiet, withdrawn, trying to adjust to a very different life and trying not to pay attention to the women outside.

“He’s trying to keep busy. He’s improving the home. Scrubbing the floor. Washing the walls. Trying to keep his mind of things. And, do something productive." But, Perry says Hubbart is trying to block out the sounds from the protesters even though that's tough to do.

As for the demonstrators, collectively known as the Ladies of the Lake, each member has their own story and reason for being here. For Glenna Manning the reason is fear. “I lost my husband 8 months ago I live by myself now. I have dogs and that’s it… so, I’m scared to death really."

And, while the Sheriff’s Department says this area has to become a quiet zone by 10pm they plan to continue to let Christopher Hubbard know … day after day.… he’s not welcomed here.


Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices