Tickets are on sale now for Traverse City's signature "foodie" event, the Taste of Traverse City Festival, a "sip, sample and shop" adventure to be held throughout the Traverse City area from Friday, Aug. 29 through Sunday, Aug. 31. The icing on this culinary cake of a weekend will be the "White House Dinner" featuring former White House Executive Chef Walter Scheib on Saturday, Aug. 30 from 6:30-9:00pm.
Presented by The Peninsula Group at Morgan Stanley, the White House Dinner will be held at the beautiful Grand Traverse Resort and Spa. Former White House Executive Chef and Iron Chef winner Walter Scheib served up his brand of innovative cuisine for 11 years at the White House, preparing everything from daily meals for the First Family to formal state dinners for world leaders such as Nelson Mandela, Lady Diana Spencer, Tony Blair and Boris Yeltsin.
The Taste of Traverse City White House dinner will feature four delectable courses inspired by the favorite dishes of past presidents. Chef Scheib will keep diners entertained with interesting and often humorous personal and professional anecdotes from his time as a White House insider. Expect an evening of fabulous food, revealing stories and special White House recipes - an event sure to be a once-in-a-lifetime treat for everyone.
The White House dinner begins at 6:30pm and includes a pre-reception and dinner. Single tickets include an autographed cookbook for $125/Each, couple tickets include one cookbook to share at $225/Couple Presidential Tables of 10 are $1,250 and include an autographed cookbook for each seat and table signage.
SESAME CRUSTED HALIBUT with RED CURRIED SWEET POTATO SOUP
Makes 6 portions
For the halibut
6 each 3 oz portions of skinless halibut fillet
Lightly spread wasabi paste on one side of the halibut and then coat that side with a mix of white and black sesame seeds and 5 spice mix
Sear the halibut and finish in the oven at service
For the soup
1T vegetable oil
2T chopped shallots
2T grated fresh ginger
2T chopped garlic
1 T grated lemongrass
2 leaf Kaffir leaf
1-2t red curry paste
2/3# roasted sweet potato puree ORANGE FLESHED VARIETY
24oz vegetable or chicken stock
12 oz. unsweetened coconut milk
1 oz. of lime juice
2 oz. honey
For the vegetables
1T sesame oil
2t ginger grated
2t garlic chopped
2 oz. yellow squash julienne
2 oz. zucchini julienne
2 oz. carrot julienne
3 stalks scallions greens finely julienned
CRISP RICE NOODLES
1) heat vegetable oil in a 2 qt sauce pot over medium heat, add shallots, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, kaffir leaf and curry paste; sweat them until tender (2-3 min.) do not let brown
2) add potatoes and cook about 2 min. more.
3) add stock and coconut milk, cook 20 min
4) with hand blender or in food processor, blend mix until smooth, strain into new 2 qt pot. Add more stock if the soup is thicker than needed.
5) add honey and lime juice to balance spiciness and sweetness of soup and season with salt and pepper. Hold warm for service.
6) for the vegetables, in a 12 inch sauté pan over medium high heat sauté ginger and garlic, stir fry quickly all vegetables season with S&P
7) arrange vegetables in the middle of a warm soup plate, halibut on top, ladle soup around the vegetables and garnish with scallions, and crisp fried rice noodles serve.