Keep Your Pets Safe While Maintaining Your Lawn and Garden - Fox 2 News Headlines

Keep Your Pets Safe While Maintaining Your Lawn and Garden

  • Pet of the WeekMore>>

  • Pet Connect : Meet Noir

    Pet Connect : Meet Noir

    Monday, April 21 2014 11:48 AM EDT2014-04-21 15:48:25 GMT
    Meet Noir, she's a short-hair domestic cat that's up for adoption at the Michigan Humane Society.
    Meet Noir, she's a short-hair domestic cat that's up for adoption at the Michigan Humane Society.
  • Pet Connect: Meet Clover

    Pet Connect: Meet Clover

    Monday, March 17 2014 9:19 AM EDT2014-03-17 13:19:40 GMT
    Meet Clover, a six month old puppy, that's up for adoption at the Michigan Humane Society of Michigan.
    Meet Clover, a six month old puppy, that's up for adoption at the Michigan Humane Society of Michigan.
  • Pet of the Week

    Pet of the Week

    Monday, March 10 2014 9:30 AM EDT2014-03-10 13:30:29 GMT
    Meet Tulip, an 11-week old kitten.
    Meet Tulip, an 11-week old kitten.

You may not think of your lawn and garden as hazards for your pet, but, if you're not careful, you could put them in danger.  Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about how to keep your animal friends safe.

1.  What plants are toxic to pets?

Cardiotoxic plants: (affect the heart)

Convallaria majalis
Nerium oleander
Rhododendron species      
Digitalis purpurea
Kalanchoe spp.  Lily of the Valley
Oleander
Rhododendron, Azalea and Rosebay
Foxglove
Kalanchoe

Plants that could cause kidney failure:

Lilies (Lilium and Hemerocallis species, in cats only)
Rhubarb (Rheum species) (leaves only)
Shamrock (oxalis species)

Plants or fungi that could cause liver failure:

Cycads (Cycad species such as Sago Palm)
Mushroom (Amanita phalloides)

Plants that could cause multiple effects:

Autumn Crocus (Colchicum species) (Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, renal, liver damage and bone marrow suppression)
Castor Bean (Ricinus species) (Can cause renal failure, liver failure, convulsions and death)

Fungi (Mushrooms)
ALWAYS assume that any ingested mushroom is highly toxic until a mycologist positively identifies it.  Toxic and non-toxic mushrooms can grow in the same area.

2. What should pet owners do if they suspect their animal has ingested a poisonous plant or mushroom? What symptoms should they look for?

If a pet owner suspects that their animal ingested a poisonous plant, they should contact their veterinarian immediately.  It’s advised to bring part of the plant to a nursery for identification if the exact species is not known.  Symptoms of poisonings can include almost any clinical sign. The animal may even appear completely normal for several hours or days. 

3. Is there a way for pet owners to train or teach their pets not to eat poisonous plants or mushrooms?

A pet owner could train their pets to avoid certain areas of their home or yard where there are poisonous plants.  However, the safest method would be to prevent exposure by removing the plants from the pet's home and yard. 

4. What about pesticides and fertilizers that might be in the garage or tool shed?

Make sure your pets do not go on lawns or in gardens treated with fertilizers, herbicides or insecticides until the time listed on the label by the manufacturer.  If you are uncertain about the usage of any product, contact the manufacturer for clarification before using it.  Always store pesticides, fertilizers and herbicides in areas that are inaccessible to your pets - read the label carefully for proper usage and storage instructions.

The most serious problems resulting from fertilizer ingestion in pets are usually due to the presence of heavy metals such as iron.  Ingestion of large amounts of fertilizer could cause severe gastric upset and possibly gastrointestinal obstruction.

The most dangerous forms of pesticides include: snail bait containing metaldehyde, fly bait containing methomyl, systemic insecticides containing disyston or disulfoton, zinc phosphide containing mole or gopher bait and most forms of rat poisons.  When using pesticides place the products in areas that are totally inaccessible to your companion animals.  Always store pesticides in secured areas and according to label directions.


For more toxicology tips or to view a toxic and non-toxic plant list, visit the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center’s website at www.aspca.org/apcc.  

 

Powered by WorldNow

WJBK-TV | Fox 2
16550 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Main Station: (248) 557-2000
Newsroom: (248) 552-5103

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices